Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/8th Manchesters

Ski

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody could tell what sort of time a man would have joined the 1/8th (TF)Bn Manchester Regiment out in the field if he had a regimental number of 302321?

I do know that he attested on 14/8/15 aged18 and that he was awarded the BWM and Vic.

Cheers,

Ski

Hi, Ski and welcome to the Forum.

Difficult to give you a precise answer here as I don't think there's a regimental list of numbers. However, if you want a best guess - I'd be going for mid-1917.

John

Cheers John,

Thats what i was sort of guessing as well.

But would you have any idea why there is such a gap between attestation and him joining the Battalion itself?

Ski - I'd plump for joining the battalion ITF during 1917 as well, maybe as early as March - May.

What is your evidence for the attestation date ?

Where does the number 302321 come from - is it on the medals ?

Have you checked his service medal records at the National Archives ?

regards - Tom

Guest Ian Bowbrick

National Archives?

Tom I seem to recall you saying that you would not use the new name until they had filled in the name 'Public Record Office' over the door! ;)

Would not the number 302321 have been allocated after the TF units were re-numbered in 1916/1917?

Ian

Tom,

I got both the number and the attestation date from the man's army paybook,

The number is also on the medals,

Also an extra interesting point, is that the man lived and came from Wiltshire

Regards,

Lee

National Archives?

Tom I seem to recall you saying that you would not use the new name until they had filled in the name 'Public Record Office' over the door! ;)

Would not the number 302321 have been allocated after the TF units were re-numbered in 1916/1917?

Ian

Ian - the staff ganged-up on me and I've been "persuaded" that untold confusion will result from a continued disinclination to adopt the "new official" title - so I'm now compromising with "NA (PRO)" - Having said that, I've just recieved a cheque from them and the "issuing department" has printed out as "Public Record Office", and the "account" is shown as "Public Record Office" as well (nowhere does it say "NA") - and the cheque was only printed last week. I was going to make some milage out of that but thought the better of it - it is a cheque, after all ! :D

You are correct about the 1/8th Manchesters regimental number being a "new series" TF issue - that's why I was asking Ski about the medals, and the confirmation that the six digit number is on them, rather than an "original" four digit pre 1916 TF number can really only mean one thing, - the man attested in 1915 and was immediately discharged to Army Reserve, then called up later, - I would guess about late 1916.

I dont think I've ever come across this type of attestation into the TF before, but it is surprisingly common with men who end up in Regular or Service battalions. Normally the attestation is during the last third of 1915 or the first third of 1916, and the subsequent call-up is during the remainder of 1916, but the odd one goes outside of that time span. During the past month I've had one man who attested 21/9/16 and was immediately posted to reserve , then called-up and enlisted 1/5/17, and another who was enlisted (as oposed to attested) 13/11/16, was discharged to reserve the following day, and then seems to have got fed-up waiting and applied for a commission 19/3/17 (he was ex OTC) but even then didnt get to an Officer Cadet Battalion till 7/6/17.

An interesting difference between those two is that the man who attested didnt appear to be allocated a regimental number till he was actually enlisted, seven months later, but the man who enlisted was allocated a regimental number straight away, and then discharged. I would think that the former is what happened to Ski's man.

regards - Tom

These men clearly enlisted under the Derby Scheme, but had to wait for their age groups to be called up.

Charles M

Lee

By the time your man was called up, he would have been sent to whichever battalion was most in need at the time, so no surprise that a Wiltshire man ends up in a manchester territorial unit.

John

B)

Thanks everyone,

Thats pretty much cleared it up!!

These men clearly enlisted under the Derby Scheme, but had to wait for their age groups to be called up.

Charles M

Charles - Pte Herbert Chafer, 2618 ASC / 6th & 9th TR Bn's / 33612 Yorkshire Reg't (for example).

First enlistment 10/12/15 and discharged to Army Reserve same date. Mobilised 14/9/16.

Papers are in WO363/C184.

Date of birth ....................... 9/8/1886.

Regards - Tom