Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Split MIC

dplatt

Good Lord it's the first time I've been the only user on the forum -It isn't half lonely.

I hope I'm not thought to be hogging the limelight but I need to know if a split medal index card may include the third type of MIC and any other?

I know splits are possible but the third type is for when a soldier has been given only a SWB. Therefore, is it possible that a soldier was given a SWB after being injured so badly that he cannot go back to his regiment and yet still have another MIC which says he was awarded BWM and victory (possibly 14 0r 14/15 star)?

Regards,

David,

Therefore, is it possible that a soldier was given a SWB after being injured so badly that he cannot go back to his regiment and yet still have another MIC which says he was awarded BWM and victory (possibly 14 0r 14/15 star)?

Yus! ;)

Any idea why a SWB card would turn up searching the MIC's and not the MIC for the actual medals?

For instance: Could the same man have different cards because he had different service numbers, for whatever reason?

Cheers,

Michael

Michael

It was probably an addendum. You can find the same thing with a soldier who had service with several units had one of them missed off his original card.

Terry Reeves

I have searched for a man and the only reference I have found shows SWB only although he entered service 21st April 1915 and was discharged on 28th February 1918.

This MIC may not represent the man I'm searching for but I am interested to know why there is no other reference for the soldier I’m looking at. Is it because he came to his final regiment from another one and that another MIC exists to his previous regiment?

Medal rolls for the regiment are omit this man.

I’ve checked but the regimental museum has no record of the man’s previous regiment. The PRO information says :–

"The third most common design of MIC is one that was used for those individuals who received the "Silver War Badge" (SWB) only. This card, whilst retaining all of the data about an individual also gives the date of enlistment, date of discharge and reason for discharge. The MIC will also give the SWB roll reference."

There seems to be no way to find out from which Regiment the man came. It is a little puzzling and I’d like to learn a little more about how these things worked.

If the man did come from another regiment, was there so little referencing? Didn’t each regiment keep records of where a man came from/went to? Perhaps it’s all just been lost over time but it seems a damn shame we can’t trace them.

Then again maybe I’m not looking hard enough or in the wrong places.

Regards,

David.

Hi

You will need to look at the War Badge roll to see if he actually served abroad during his time in the Services. It was not uncommon to serve for three years and never to have served abroad.

Steve

Steve,

Thanks to have taken the time.

What is the War Badge roll, please? Is it the Silver War Badge because I have a photocopy of the page but didn't realise there was something else to look at.

Regards,

David.

Hi David

Yes it is the roll containing the details of the silver war badge. Normally, but unfortunately not always, the last line of the entry will state either yes or no indicating whether or not your man served overseas.

Steve

There seems to have been little follow through of men after they transferred. The trouble is that the record of service was the main way of tracing the units a man served on.

Hi

With Medal Index Cards, if there are more than one card to a certain individual, it is quite common to find that the details differ. He can be John Smith on one and J Smith or even J Smythe on another. Searching by using just the man's Regimental Number and not adding in his Name will help you find the other cards.

I have a Certificate of Service to a man with the Surname of Laurence. His 15 Star mic is named Lawrance and his War & Victory mic is named Lawrence.

Steve