Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Highlanders MIC

kinnethmont

Can anyone explain the significance of the /6 at the end of the early service numbers on these Gordon's MIC cards?

I have several others with this, some scored through, others not.

post-352-1118272749.jpg

Don't know for sure, but it could signify 6th Bn. Both these men were with the 6th Gordon Highlanders when they were killed.

Stuart

It is not peculiar to the 6th Battn. I have MIC details of men in 5th and 7th Battn with the same /6 ending.

Attached is a 5th Battn man. They were re-numbered with the series

240001-265000

post-352-1118300581.jpg

I wonder whether the CWGC site which shows he was in 5th battalion was incorrect, or perhaps he was assigned to the 5th battalion at the time of his death. (I don't know enough about the location of the forces in 1917 to work that one out). The data base on the Scottish war memorial site also showed 5th Battalion.

His old number doesn't match the numbers of 5th battalion men. I have a 1914 roll (October) of men volunteering for overseas service. There are about 1000 names and numbers, and the highest numbers are ALL 4 digits, going up to 2300s. There are no 5 digit numbers shown.

The two other examples of 6th battalion men you showed also had 5 digit numbers. I don't have enough examples from the 6th to say if this is the norm or not.

I have many examples of MiCs with the 5 crossed out. It would appear to refer to the battalion.

The 5th battalion went to France in May 1915, the 6th in December 1914. Your John Stewart was there in Feb 1915. Not conclusive I know - men did change units.

My copy of 5th Battalion men from "Soldiers Died in the Great War" doesn't show a John Stewart. (I can't say for certain this is correct as I'm using photocopies from the CD and the pages are un-numbered and ends with STEWART, James on one page and resumes with STRACHAN, John on the next page. Perhaps a page is missing.)

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is that John Stewart was originally in the 6th battalion.

Regards

Carolyn

It is not peculiar to the 6th Battn. I have MIC details of men in 5th and 7th Battn with the same /6 ending.

Attached is a 5th Battn man. They were re-numbered with the series

240001-265000

John Stewart is shown as 5th Battn in SDGW CD. Oddly he is listed as L Cpl. He is not listed in the Roll of the 6th, or as attached to the 5th.

The sequencec below shows men with 5th Batt numbers. The style of their original number varies.

Gordon Highlanders 5087 Private

Gordon Highlanders 242129 Private

Gordon Highlanders 12113/6 Private

Gordon Highlanders 242131 Private

Gordon Highlanders 1504 Private

Gordon Highlanders 242132 Private

John Stewart

Gordon Highlanders 11262 Private

Gordon Highlanders 242133 Private

Gordon Highlanders 12055 Private

Gordon Highlanders 242134 Private

Gordon Highlanders 5093 Private