Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RMS ARAGON and 3rd Norfolks

David Seymour

I am preparing the Thetford Grammar School Remembrance Service for November 2003 which will include the story of Victor Benjamin Woods, Corporal, 43720, 3rd Bn., Norfolk Regiment. Victor died in the sinking of RMS ARAGON outside Alexandria harbour on 30/12/17. He is remembered on the Chatby Memorial, Egypt. After arriving at Alexandria with 2,700 onboard ARAGON was ordered out of the harbour as no berth was available. Immediately having cleared the harbour she was torpedoed and sunk by UC 34, with a loss of 610 lives. HMS Attack, which came to her aid, was also sunk.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who can add to my knowledge of the loss of the ARAGON, or can explain what a detachment of the 3rd Norfolks was doing aboard her.

Not about the loss of the Aragon but here is some information about the fate of the submarine which sank her.

UC 34 was eventually scuttled at the Austrian port of Pola on the Adriatic on 30 October 1918, commanded by Oberleutnant zur See Hans Schüler. All subs which could make thrip had been ordered to return to Germany on Oct 21st and the navy began to evacuate Pola and Cattaro two days later. The UC 34 was one of ten boats which could not make the journey. The boat had returned to port in August (initially to Cattaro but then transferred to Pola) for a major overhaul after laying mines off Port Said on Aug 9th 1918. Its overhaul was not complete when the order to evacuate was given.

Many thanks, Theo. It all helps to give background to the story of the ARAGON.

David

Guest Hussar

RMS ARAGON was originally a Headquarters ship at the Dardanelles and was used as the offices of the Principal Naval Transport Officer, Superintending Transport Officer, Mudros and Inspector General of Communications until later in 1915 when they moved to offices ashore.

At this point, the Aragon became HMT ARAGON and was used as a Troopship until she was sunk. So, that is the connection with the Norfolks, they were just unlucky passengers!

You might be interested in one of the other unfortunate passengers at the time.

Battery Sergeant Major Ernest George Horlock VC of 113th Btty. Royal Field Artillery who, having won the VC in September 1914 had survived everything up to that point only to be lost in this incident. He is buried in the War Memorial Cemetery at Hadra.

David

There was a thread re the Aragon on the forum last December but no specific mention of the Norfolks on board. There is an account of the sinking in Chapter XI of the "The Royal Mail War Book" - the RM Line's WW1 history. If you e-mail me off line with the School's address I can send you a copy. Interested to see Hussar's mention of BSM E G Horlock VC - he was my Great Uncle. He was one of the survivors picked up by HMS Attack which was subsequently torpedoed as well and he was killed in that incident, no doubt the fate of others who had survived the initial torpedoeing of the Aragon.

Hope this will help

Mike

David

Strange that ,of the thirty-odd Norfolks lost with the Aragon, most were designated 3rd Battalion and the others from the 12th (SDCD) As you know the 3rd was a Training and Holding Bn based at Felixstowe. It was similar with those lost with the Royal Edward in 1915 - they were also shown as 3rd Bn.

The regimental history has nothing about the sinking and as far as your man is concerned I think Dick Rayner will have all the details - I saw him at the Museum today.

There is a splendid picture of the RMS Aragon on www.cybamall.com/shiplover4/GBR/Aragon.html

Kind regards

David

Have you checked these documents at the PRO ?

ADM 1/8509/5 Loss of HMS ATTACK and HM Transport ARAGON on 30 December 1917

ADM 137/3771 Loss of HMS ATTACK and HMS ARAGON

Michael

• 1 month later...

Many thanks to all who have replied. It is very kind of you to take an interest in our plans for November. Sorry not to have replied earlier but have been away from a computer.

David

• 7 years later...

Our Grandfather was on the Aragon. We just found a box containing letters he sent to his mother about the sinking, news papper articals, docs and his watch which was stopped at 11:20. We are planning a trip to dive on the wreck. I can e you copies if the letters if you would like to see them. Any info you can send us would be great. We need to know the exsact loacation of the ship. Thanks my info , phone 651 402 0967 US

E, bbradymn@msn.com

I am preparing the Thetford Grammar School Remembrance Service for November 2003 which will include the story of Victor Benjamin Woods, Corporal, 43720, 3rd Bn., Norfolk Regiment. Victor died in the sinking of RMS ARAGON outside Alexandria harbour on 30/12/17. He is remembered on the Chatby Memorial, Egypt. After arriving at Alexandria with 2,700 onboard ARAGON was ordered out of the harbour as no berth was available. Immediately having cleared the harbour she was torpedoed and sunk by UC 34, with a loss of 610 lives. HMS Attack, which came to her aid, was also sunk.

I would be pleased to hear from anyone who can add to my knowledge of the loss of the ARAGON, or can explain what a detachment of the 3rd Norfolks was doing aboard her.

• 1 month later...

Our Grandfather was on the Aragon. We just found a box containing letters he sent to his mother about the sinking, news papper articals, docs and his watch which was stopped at 11:20. We are planning a trip to dive on the wreck. I can e you copies if the letters if you would like to see them. Any info you can send us would be great. We need to know the exsact loacation of the ship. Thanks my info , phone 651 402 0967 US

E, bbradymn@msn.com

Very many thanks for your offer of e-copies of the letters. I will email you. Have you seen this website (http://www.wrecksite.eu/wreck.aspx?134801) which refers to RMS Aragon's loss?

With best wishes,

David