Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'For England and Honour'

swizz

At the weekend I came across a church memorial dedicated to men 'who laid down their lives for England and honour.' To me, that sounds like a quote, perhaps from a poem, but googling it didn't come up with anything. Does anyone have any ideas on the source? I'm particularly interested in it because the church I found it in is in Northern Ireland, so suggesting that members of the congregation died for England isn't necessarily a natural assumption.

Swizz

Swizz

A quick nosy round Google finds the quote on a couple of other WW1 memorials so perhaps it was a "standard work".

However, the earliest reference I can find is to "England and Honour" appearing to be someone's first name. It was an American family history website referring to someone born around the 1680s.

Could this then be somehow traceable back to our Civil War? If the phrase "King and Country" was in use before then, there would have to have been a replacement once we had the Commonwealth.

Thanks John, you may well be right. I just wondered whether there might be a particular source for the quote but since I haven't found anything so far there may not be one!

Swizz