Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt Gen Sir J Grierson

Guest JoyLFC

Guest JoyLFC

Some years ago whilst staying at the Rabbit in Ypres I listened to a friend of mine ,Major Bertie Whitmore, give a talk on "What if Grierson hadnt died on his way to war?"

Bertie explained how things would have been different and perhaps the whole course of the war would have been significantly changed.

I have long wished I had a tape recorder with me that night cos the talk was something special.

I have been trying to find a biography of Grierson or a book about him but without much success. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Joy, my memory tells me that this was written as an article in Stand To! some years ago. It might even have been written by Bertie.

How so did he feel the war would have been different?

With his death came Smith-Dorrien and his decision to stand at Le Cateau. Not knowing much of this man i do know he once coverted the Germans but realised his mistake later and that he was thought of highly but then so were most of the main characters at the beginning of the war.

I would be interested to know more of this man and what your friend considered his influenece would have been.

As to the book The life of General Grierson London 1923 by D.S.Macdiarmid go to Abebooks and do a search against this title not cheap i am afraid!

Arm.

Edited by Chris_Baker

Guest JoyLFC

Thanks for the info. Have looked at booksite, but as I dont have a credit card I cant buy, they dont accept switch. shall have to look elsewhere. Thanks again

Chris thanks for the info about article in WFA journal, I'll have a word with Ann.

Guest JoyLFC

Bought a copy of the life of General Grierson as suggested. Its coming from America so it may be a while, but they accept cheques so thats OK.