Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help Requested

malcway

Hornby_card.doc

Am helping a friend to trace his Grandfathers WW1 service. He was John Henry Hornby, served as Pte M1/8875 (Later M1/08875), Army Service Corps. I have his Medal Index Card, which shows he qualified for the 1914 Star (in theatre 21/10/1914) and also for the Silver War Badge). Behind 'ASC' in the Corps column is a rather badly written abbreviation in brackets which LOOKS like B N (or R or M) Tp. I know the M1 prefix indicates he was in the Mechanical Transport Section, and that his 'in theatre' date SUGGESTS he may have served with the 7th Division. Can anyone help or suggest what the abbreviations after ASC might really be and what they mean? Thanks a lot. Malcolm

It looks like "13 MT" to me.

13th Motor transport?? just a guess.

L.

It looks like "13 MT" to me.

13th Motor transport?? just a guess.

L.

Leigh - thanks for looking. Yes, it could be, but if it is I think the writer would have used the same rather distinctive figure '1', (with its oblique leading stroke), when using the same numeral a few digits later when writing the mans Regtl No.

What we need is a calligraphy expert! Thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

My friend informs me that one of the two occasions on which his Grandfather was wounded happened when he fell from his motor cycle - possibly a despatch rider? Does this help at all with the notation? Is anyone going the the National Archives in the near future and could spare the time to do a look-up on the Silver War Badge roll? Thanks again.