Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon RFA and MFP

Guest jimsgirl

Guest jimsgirl

Hi

I have found two index cards for my grandfather, James Gordon/Gorden. Actually, I found two--one for each spelling, one as a Cpl, once as a Sgt.

I have three questions:

Did he start out in the Royal Field Artillery and end up in the Military Foot Police, or was it the other way around? (His actual medals are all inscribed Cpl (then Sgt) J Gordon, L-2879, RFA, including the Victory Medal -- which is why I'm a bit confused at the MFP part coming second on the MIC -- if he finished in the MFP why does his Victory medal have RFA inscribed on it?

Does the roll reference no. signify he was in the 8th battalion? Or should I look up the actual medal roll to check that?

Can I assume that the (1) in "Theatre of War first served in" signifies France?

GordonJMIC_1_small.jpg

GordonJMIC_2_small.jpg

Thanks for your help

Jean

Jean,

Your grandfather was in the RFA when he went overseas, and ended up in the MFP. The medals usually show the regiment that the soldier was with when he qualified for entitlement.

The medal roll reference does not indicate the specific unit. The RFA rolls themselves are unlikely to give any more information, but may be worth checking. The 'L' prefix indicates "Locally enlisted" and refers to those gunners enlisted under a local enlistment scheme in 1915. They primarily belong to RFA brigades in the 148 to 190 range.

Theatre of War (1) indicates 'France and Flanders'.

Regards

Gavin