Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Territorial Soldier

KILTY

Can anyone explain please?

If a man belonged to a territorial battalion, did this mean he was in the territorials before the war, or could he volunteer to join a territorial battalion the same way as a man would volunteer to a service battalion..

He could have enlisted in a TF unit anytime after the outbreak of war until direct recruitment to the TF was stopped in (I think) Dec 15 - too lazy to check. Equally he could be a regular, wartime volunteer or conscript who was tranfered to a TF unit.

Jock

Thanks for that Jock, please forgive my ignorance on the subject but I've just received my Grandfathers service papers from the P.R.O. and I'll probably be picking your brains again before I'm finished.

Kind Regards. Kilty.

Depends on the quality of the papers you have, but it should state somewhere the date of enlistment. Otherwise, Jock's covered it accurately.

Kilty,

Chris has answered that one, but if you post up a summary of the details you have for 'your' man you might find that any number of people will throw up (not literally) all sorts of additional little gems of info for you to mull over.

Hello Andew,

I must get round to compiling a summary of his service and posting it on. There is quite a few pages for me to get through,so I suppose I'm lucky in that respect. The papers are those of my Grandfathers, who enlisted in the 7th Battaloin Gordon Highlanders, but was posted to the 1st Battalion B.E.F. in october 1915. He was wounded in action with them, returned to England for treatment and posted back to the 7th Battalion in late 1916. He stayed

with the 7th Bn through all of 1917, and was then commissioned from the ranks in early 1918, being sent to Bailol College Oxford( no 6 Officer Cadet Battalion.

THis is just the basics. Kilty