Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time Expired Territorial?

carolm

I have read Chris's article about medal index cards. He mentions that the letters T.E (and some variations) refer to time expired territorials. I was wondering if the notation on the attached card refers to this, and if so what do all the other letters and numbers (dates?) mean - T E P P A D 95 of 1911?post-5583-1117942877.jpg

Thanks

Carolyn

Carol,

Here's my take on the card details:

James Chalmers was Sgt, then Company Sergeant Major in the 1/5th (Buchan and Formartin) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, going to France on the 2nd May 1915. In January 1917, along with other territorial units he was given the 6-digit number 240010 to replace his 4-digit one.

He was promoted Regimental Quarter-Master Sergeant and was subsequently awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (Army Order 95 of 1911).

He was awarded the British War Medal, Victory and 1915 Star - the letters after each of these medals are the medal roll details where you can find further details (This is the Medal Index Card for those rolls).

23/02/19 is probably the date he was demobilised (released from full-time service) although I can't make out the word before the date.

The other sentence in the 'Remarks' section is difficult to read but it looks like "Regimental Number amended...". This could mean on the Medal Index Card (where his service number originally read 115/5), or the medal rolls, or even on his actual medals.

There are three Medal Index Cards listed for him. If you download the others they will confirm his TFEM entitlement.

The 1/5th Gordons embarked at Folkestone and arrived at Boulogne on 4th May 1915. This suggests (but doesn't prove) that Chalmers was part of an advanced party leaving a day or so earlier.

They then travelled by train to Berguete and from there marched to billets at L'Ecteme. They entered the trenches for the first time near 'Indian Village' on the 20th May.

I hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Ken

Dear Ken,

What can I say but Thanks! A wealth of information there.

I had originally thought the notation might have something to do with the Efficiency Medal, but then thought as it wasn't a Campaign Medal, it wouldn't show on the MiC. "Time Expired" seemed more likely.

The addreviation before the date 23/2/19 stands, I think, for "Disembodied" (an unfortunate term) but which seems to apply to Territorials - being the opposite of "Embodied" which was what happened to this unit on 4th August 1914.

Almost all the Territorials I've been researching have this. Only one so far has "Disch" (Discharged).

I think the ammendment to the regimental number does refer to the crossing out of the 5 after the main number. I have the cards for a number of other men, all with the same ammendment.

Thanks for the information about the adittional cards - I hadn't noticed that.

Many thanks

Carolyn

Carol,

Here's my take on the card details:

James Chalmers was Sgt, then Company Sergeant Major in the 1/5th (Buchan and Formartin) Battalion, Gordon Highlanders, going to France on the 2nd May 1915. In January 1917, along with other territorial units he was given the 6-digit number 240010 to replace his 4-digit one.

He was promoted Regimental Quarter-Master Sergeant and was subsequently awarded the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal (Army Order 95 of 1911).

He was awarded the British War Medal, Victory and 1915 Star - the letters after each of these medals are the medal roll details where you can find further details (This is the Medal Index Card for those rolls).

23/02/19 is probably the date he was demobilised (released from full-time service) although I can't make out the word before the date.

The other sentence in the 'Remarks' section is difficult to read but it looks like "Regimental Number amended...". This could mean on the Medal Index Card (where his service number originally read 115/5), or the medal rolls, or even on his actual medals.

There are three Medal Index Cards listed for him. If you download the others they will confirm his TFEM entitlement.

The 1/5th Gordons embarked at Folkestone and arrived at Boulogne on 4th May 1915. This suggests (but doesn't prove) that Chalmers was part of an advanced party leaving a day or so earlier.

They then travelled by train to Berguete and from there marched to billets at L'Ecteme. They entered the trenches for the first time near 'Indian Village' on the 20th May.

I hope that helps a little.

Regards,

Ken