Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who Am I?

Tom Morgan

Point of order Mr Morgan

Based on the first clue given i.e. "my family lived in Wakefield and I died in 1917 at the age of 26" I maintain that I was correct :P

2/Lt. Arthur Rowland Hartley South Staffs, died on 9/11/1917 aged 26. His parents lived in Outwood (part of Wakefield)

Andy the disgruntled.

andy,

oh poor you come here luv and i'll give you a hug as a consolation prize

mandy

oh poor you come here luv and i'll give you a hug as a consolation prize

Well, thankyou Mandy, but thats not the point. I was hoping that beer maybe being given out as prizes. :rolleyes:

Andy

if your over on the somme for 1st July i'll see you in dominics and i'll buy you one,

Mandy

Point of order Mr Morgan

Based on the first clue given i.e. "my family lived in Wakefield and I died in 1917 at the age of 26" I maintain that I was correct  :P

2/Lt. Arthur Rowland Hartley South Staffs, died on 9/11/1917 aged 26. His parents lived in Outwood (part of Wakefield)

Andy the disgruntled.

A new additional rule will apply in future to prevent any recurrence of this unfortunate misunderstanding:

Additional Rule 1 - Max is banned. :ph34r:

Tom

Marina has it - Lijssenthoek not Brandhoek.

Simon

If we are getting into excuses and recriminations :) it was the place of burial that threw me off the scent, Nellie Spindler was killed at Brandhoek with No 44 CCS but it was evacuated the same day because of the shelling, hence she was not buried there.

Incidentally, I found a Sister Ellen Andrews, Territorial Force Nursing Service, in Officers Died, killed in action 21/3/18, but can’t find her on the CWGC. Any ideas?

Regards

Simon

Sorry, I'm digressing here!

Tom, weren't you connected with Phil Curme's webiste devoted to original grave markers? If so my girlfriend has a piccy of the cross at Aldworth - still in her camera after 2 years! Must chivvy her up...

Adrian

Incidentally, I found a Sister Ellen Andrews, Territorial Force Nursing Service, in Officers Died, killed in action 21/3/18, but can’t find her on the CWGC. Any ideas?

Regards

Simon

Simon, She was actually (correctly) called Ellen Andrew by the CWGC.

Simon, She was actually (correctly) called Ellen Andrew by the CWGC.

Jim

Many thanks!

Simon

Thought you lived not far from me, Bernard - down the A6? Not exactly rural, our manor.

And, I've just spotted your "signature" - we're not related are we?

hiya john,you never know,we seem to follow the same interests,mine are the leeds/bradford hartleys,ime thankful for the chivalry of a german officer for my existance,he was badly wounded and because of him being a MG they were going to kill him,which was the norm,but the officer intervened because he was wounded,and the RESULT,future generations of hartleys,bernard