Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who Am I?

Tom Morgan

Another clue follows in the morning if no-one gets the right name by then.

CLUE 1

I was born in Bristol in 1890, to parents Barnett and Annie.

Tom

Hi Tom,

Was it Isaac Rosenberg by any chance?

Cheers,

Tim

Next question - what's a Kewpie Doll?!! :D:ph34r:

Cheers,

Tim

Not 2/Lt. A Rowland Hartley.

CLUE 2

My CWGC gravestone is almost unique - there is only one more like it in the country in which I am buried.

Next clue at 7.15 p.m.

CLIE 3

I'm buried in a cemetery not far from Ypres. It isn't the biggest cemetery in the area, but almost.

Next Clue - 8.00 p.m.

Clue 4

On the date of my death, 21st August, 1917, I was working as usual at a Casualty Clearing Station, which was sometimes shelled. On this day, a shell landed and I was wounded by the burst, dying soon afterwards.

Last clue at 8.45 p.m. Identity revealed at 9.15 p.m. unless someone gets it first.

Clue 4

On the date of my death, 21st August, 1917, I was working as usual at a Casualty Clearing Station, which was sometimes shelled.  On this day, a shell landed and I was wounded by the burst, dying soon afterwards.

Last clue at 8.45 p.m.  Identity revealed at 9.15 p.m. unless someone gets it first.

The nurse killed at Brandhoek, dammit I can't find her name.

Simon

FINAL CLUE

I was buried the day after I was killed and my grave receives many visitors. Some, I suppose, are just curious to see the grave of one woman buried among 10,750 men.

ID to be revealed at 9.15 p.m. unless someone gets it first.

Simon,

if your right the other one is in Lissenhook (sorry about the spelling)

Bernard i thought Chavasse too, but there isn't another on the salient is there?

mandy

Correct! Well done Marina. A couple of other Pals nearly got there, but the name's the thing.

Staff Nurse Nellie Spindler, Queen Alexandra's Imperial Military Nursing Service - buried at Lijssenthoek and one of only two female casualties of the Great War buried in Belgium.

Tom

I'll try and think of another one for next weekend unless someone else can come up with one before then. The hard part is working out the clues so that Google won't be any help at all!

Tom

this is a great topic,i love quizzes,there aint much chance of holding a quiz night in my area,the most intelligent person in my town is in the middle of a field wiv a stick stuck up his back frightening crows off the spuds,bernard

,there aint much chance of holding a quiz night in my area,the most intelligent person in my town is in the middle of a field wiv a stick stuck up his back frightening crows off the spuds,bernard

Thought you lived not far from me, Bernard - down the A6? Not exactly rural, our manor.

And, I've just spotted your "signature" - we're not related are we?

to the hartley's,

i wondered that too,

Marina well done at last the girls are off the peg!

I knew it but coudn't find the photo cos it was pre digital!

Mandy