Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Date for this photo

Keith Kendall

post-7097-1117836324.jpg

The attached photograph was with the original photo of my Gt Uncle, Harry Brazil's grave. I have examined it with a magnifying glass blown it up on the computer as far as I can in an effort to identify the date.

All of the soldiers are from "Queens Royal West Surry Regt", identifiable by cap badges, possible one may even be Harry (will probably never be able to confirm that)

I have been trying to find out when it might have been taken.

Tried the Daily Mirror hoped they might be interested and be able to identify the front page of the paper in the photo. No joy there - can't help.

I have sent copy to Imperial War museun and Queens Museum in the hope of some info.

Anyone have any other ideas????

1916 ... or 17

I'd guess the prominent Mirror front page is far from coincidence.

To this day, papers such as Mirror/Sun etc love to have their Masthead jammed in amongst 'the lads' and thus their photogs carried copies to stick into Tommy's hands whenever poss.

I.E. Tommy Bloggs and his mates read all about it in 'The Mirror' etc etc

I suggest you go to a site called 'The pen is mightier than the sword' and show it to the journo-war experts there.

I had similar thoughts which is why I tried the Mirror, thought they might be interested as well as helpfull :(

Thanks for the info and the suggestion re "Pen Mightier than the sword" will give that a try.

The thing that struck me and made me think it might be from sometime between 1914 - 1918 were the "eyes"of some of those in the picture, to me they say a lot!

keith,you can rule out any date before oct 1915,steel helmets came in after this date,though at first only in very small numbers,it was only when they started to build up for the somme offensive that they became more abundant,i would also say 1916-17,the caps scattered around are too newish to have gone through 4 years of war,bernard

Are we sure it's Great War? The badge is difficult to see from the scan, but it looks as if it might not have scroll under, but a bar, which would place it as the post-1922 Queen's badge. I think the caps are far too 'new'-looking to have knocked around for 4 years of war (agree with previous contributor). Looks as if it might be a post-war TA Camp. Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but a good close-up of the badge would be easier than the date on the Mirror!

I would also say it is a post-war photo; the Queen's collar badges are a good give away for this, as they were not worn during WW1.

keith,you can rule out any date before oct 1915,steel helmets came in after this date,though at first only in very small numbers,it was only when they started to build up for the somme offensive that they became more abundant,i would also say 1916-17,the caps scattered around are too newish to have gone through 4 years of war,bernard

Thanks Bernard that narrows it down a bit

Keith - have a look at the comments above. I really do not think this is a photo taken during WW1. Collar badges were very unusual during the war; they became part of the uniform for ORs in the 20s, when I am sure this photo is taken.

Are we sure it's Great War?  The badge is difficult to see from the scan, but it looks as if it might not have scroll under, but a bar, which would place it as the post-1922 Queen's badge.  I think the caps are far too 'new'-looking to have knocked around for 4 years of war (agree with previous contributor).  Looks as if it might be a post-war TA Camp.  Maybe I'm just being obtuse, but a good close-up of the badge would be easier than the date on the Mirror!

Hi Steve

The short answer is "not sure of anything".

The only clue was that I found it with the photo of the grave - could be a red herring.

I have tried to blow it up but loose definition before I can see if there is a bar under the cap badges.

You obviously know far more about uniforms than me.

Are you saying that if there is a scroll it would be pre 1922 and if there is a bar then post 1922?

Keith - have a look at the comments above. I really do not think this is a photo taken during WW1. Collar badges were very unusual during the war; they became part of the uniform for ORs in the 20s, when I am sure this photo is taken.

Thanks Paul

I go along with all of the comments and am now thinking that it is post 1918. The amount of detailed knowledge out there never ceases to amaze me

It is possibe that it is from 1920's as Grandfather was a regular in the "Queens" from 1918 ish to 1932 (really must get hold of his service record).

The purpose of the post has been served and established some sort of date.

Thanks all for help and comments

there are a couple of other small things in the picture that may help,their boots are not worn down[heel]their uniforms are in good shape,AND theres not a stud missing off their boots,i dont think they have seen any service yet,and i think the pic was taken in england,what unit was your ancestor in,[batt]bernard

Keith - the Queen's badge changed in about 1922, from a very sickly-looking sheep, with a scroll "Queen's" underneath to a much more sprightly wooly creature with just a bar underneath. Your piccie looks very much like the latter, and i fully agree with paul's comments about the collar dogs: not done for o.r.'s during the Great War.

Have you tried the UK "documentsonline" for WWI medal Cards?

Checking the catalogue is free-but to download the record itself is about 3.50 or 3.75

cost (English Money).

If the Regimental Museum of Realtive regiment has a newsletter try to have print printed

;)B):)