Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Toronto burial transcriptions

leigh

I am trying to trace Alfred Henry Perrott 27243 48th Highlands CEF after the war.

He moved from the UK to Brantford ON ( possibly as a home child). He Joined the CEF, went to fance, got injured then went back to the UK and married.

He was returned to Canada 21/08/19. After that I have information re his Brother Owen Charles living in Brantford and his decendants live there still.

All trace of Alfred has vanished.

Is there anyone (Toronto family history?) who could check if he might be buried in Toronto as he does not appear to be buried in Brantford along with his brother.

Regards

Leigh

ps he is my 3rd cousin once removed.

Leigh, I suggest you try forum member, Canadawwi, link. Marika might be able to help you.

I'll send a PM,

Thanks

L.

Hello Leigh,

Alfred Henry Perrott’s name is listed in two PDF documents via the Brantford Public Library’s Digital Archives found at the following link:

http://www.brantford.library.on.ca/genealogy/digital.php

Please check Douglas Reville’s “History of the County of Brant Volume 2 and The Brantford Expositor Christmas number 1916.

I tried a search for him using the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid and did not come across his name (Although this registry is not 100% complete). http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search

However, I will look up his brother’s obituary in the Brantford Expositor and see if Alfred’s last known city of residence was mentioned on Monday.

Moreover, if you can provide any other information on Alfred’s family it may help my search as I have a few other databases at my disposal via work.

On a related theme, there is an online database of home children here .

From this we see:

PERROTT , Alfred

Sex: M

Year of arrival: 1908

Microfilm reel: T-503

Ship: SS Dominion

Port of departure: Liverpool

Departure Date: 12 Mar 1908

Port of arrival: Halifax

Arrival Date: 21 Mar 1908

Party: Dr Stevenson's

Destination: Hamilton Ontario. National Children's Home and Orphanage.

Hello Leigh,

Alfred Henry Perrott’s name is listed in two PDF documents via the Brantford Public Library’s Digital Archives found at the following link:

http://www.brantford.library.on.ca/genealogy/digital.php

Please check Douglas Reville’s “History of the County of Brant Volume 2 and The Brantford Expositor Christmas number 1916.

I tried a search for him using the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid and did not come across his name (Although this registry is not 100% complete).  http://www.islandnet.com/cgi-bin/ms2/jveinot/search

However, I will look up his brother’s obituary in the Brantford Expositor and see if Alfred’s last known city of residence was mentioned on Monday.

Moreover, if you can provide any other information on Alfred’s family it may help my search as I have a few other databases at my disposal via work.

Geoffrey & Jhill,

Thanks for the time, I found the refference to the Brant History but that just lists him as being wounded. Owen his brother comes up on the OCFA but not Alfred.

lI didn't find an obituary so that will definately be of interest.

Basically Alfred arrived in Canada some time before the war. From the info that you see in Jhill's post I think he was a home Child but it might be a different Alfred.

His father died in 1898 and his mother remarried and he might have got the push and so went to Canada. He then must have written to Owen who came out as well.

Owen had 5 childern and desendants live in Brantford. He is also buried there (OCFA) I have see correspondance with a son of Owen listing the tree from Owen Charles but it contained no reference to Alfred at all.

Appart from the odd refference to his service Alfred seems to have gone missing.

You can see form the tree below that Alfred married in the UK, Probably to a nurse whilst injured and back from the front. I know this and the fact that he returned to Brantford after the war from his service records.

Next time I am in Canada I might have a pop to Brantford and do some digging me thinks.

Any other help greatfully recieved.

Many regards

Leigh

post-3828-1118046371.jpg

Hello Leigh,

I only found one mention of Alfred in Charles Owen Perrot’s obituaries with no place of residence mentioned. I thought however that you may want this information for your genealogical research.

Brantford Expositor

January 8, 1936

Charles Owen Perrott, 342 St. Paul Avenue, 45 years of age, passed away Tuesday afternoon in the Brantford General Hospital. Born in England, he came to Brantford 24 years ago. On August 4, 1914 he enlisted with the First Toronto Battalion, later in France being transferred to the Third Toronto Battalion and serving with the Battalion for the duration of the war. He was the proud possessor of the Mons Star, the Victory Medal and the Service Medal. Left to mourn his loss are his widow, one daughter Audrey, and four sons, Kenneth, Osmond, Donald and Eric, all at home. The body is resting at the Beckett Funeral Home, and the funeral home with interment in the Soldiers’ Plot in Mount Hope Cemetery. The funeral will be with military honors by fellow members o the Canadian Legion.

Brantford Expositor

January 10, 1936

The funeral of the late Charles Perrott, was largely attended by comrades of the Canadian Legion yesterday when the deceased was laid to rest in the Soldiers’ Plot at Mount Hope Cemetery. Rev. F.W. Schaffter, St. Jude’s Anglican Church, conducted services at the Beckett Funeral Home and also at the graveside. The Last Post and Reveille were sounded at the graveside by Bugler H. Porter. The pallbearers were: E. Stanbridge, J. Hughes, F. Sweet, T. Carey, R. Carey and D. Smith

Brantford Expositor

January 11, 1936

Floral Tributes.

Pillow, Father, from wife and family. Broken harp, Brother Alf and family. Basket, Brant Glass employees. Wreaths, Post No 90 Canadian Legion; Band 25th Brant Dragoons Cavalry Association. Robbins and Myers employees. Sprays Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Daiken, Mr. and Mrs. Fred Unger, Mr. and Mrs. Jack Frost, Mr. and Mrs. Geo. Barer, Mrs. Long and Alice, 5th Company Girl Guides, Mr. and Mrs. Alex Webster and family, Mr. and Mrs. Yallop and sons. From May, Ted Sleeth. The Boys, Playmates and Teachers of Graham Bell School.

Many thanks Geoffrey :)

'Brother Alf and family' suggests he might have procreated and still been in contact at least in 1936.

Loads of other info in there too.

It all helps.

Best Regards

Leigh

• 3 years later...
I am trying to trace Alfred Henry Perrott 27243 48th Highlands CEF after the war.

He moved from the UK to Brantford ON ( possibly as a home child). He Joined the CEF, went to fance, got injured then went back to the UK and married.

He was returned to Canada 21/08/19. After that I have information re his Brother Owen Charles living in Brantford and his decendants live there still.

All trace of Alfred has vanished.

Is there anyone (Toronto family history?) who could check if he might be buried in Toronto as he does not appear to be buried in Brantford along with his brother.

Regards

Leigh

ps he is my 3rd cousin once removed.

I have info on Alfred Henry Perrott (27243) and Owen Charles Perrott (35509), and would be willing to share same if you are interested,as I am a direct relative of Owen Charles .

Please e-mail me at sleethe(AT)ymail(DOT)com.

I have sent Leigh a Personal Message on your behalf (you cannot as you need 10 posts to do so ) Regards Ralph.

Alfred married Mabel M Howard in the September Quarter 1916. Here are the details: District Thanet, Vol 2a, Page 2218. Do you have Alfred, his wife Mabel and daughter Irene Diana Perrott arriving in Canada on the troopship Baltic in August 1919? Let me know. I can send details.

Alfred married Mabel M Howard in the September Quarter 1916. Here are the details: District Thanet, Vol 2a, Page 2218. Do you have Alfred, his wife Mabel and daughter Irene Diana Perrott arriving in Canada on the troopship Baltic in August 1919? Let me know. I can send details.

Thanks for the reply.

I have the marriage listed as 25 Jul 1916 to Mabel May Howard. I have the daughter listed as Diana Irene born 1918 and died 1963. I also have two sons listed- Ivor Grant & John Howard.

I am looking for info on Alfred's parents as well. Any info you can share with me would be greatly appreciated.

I have sent Leigh a Personal Message on your behalf (you cannot as you need 10 posts to do so ) Regards Ralph.

Thankyou very much - greatly appreciated.

Ted

Thanks for the details. The index at FreeBMD only gives me the quarter they were married in. September Quarter includes July, August and September. I did notice that their daughter was listed as Diana I Perrott in the index.

Here they are arriving in Canada on the Baltic. She is headed for Brantford, Ontario:

Mabel and her daughter are on this page in steerage:

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e244/e006087318.jpg

Alfred Henry Perrott is listed with the military men. He is listed as heading for Grand Forks (by error?):

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e244/e006087334.jpg

Just click on the images to view and enlarge.

These are the sailing details:

Ship: BALTIC

Shipping Line: White Star Line

Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1919-08-13

Port and Date of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia - 1919-08-21 New York - [1919-08]

List includes: Returning soldiers

Here is a newspaper clipping from the Toronto World about the arrival of the ship: Baltic in Port with Many Troops

Thanks for the details. The index at FreeBMD only gives me the quarter they were married in. September Quarter includes July, August and September. I did notice that their daughter was listed as Diana I Perrott in the index.

Here they are arriving in Canada on the Baltic. She is headed for Brantford, Ontario:

Mabel and her daughter are on this page in steerage:

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e244/e006087318.jpg

Alfred Henry Perrott is listed with the military men. He is listed as heading for Grand Forks (by error?):

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/e/e244/e006087334.jpg

Just click on the images to view and enlarge.

These are the sailing details:

Ship: BALTIC

Shipping Line: White Star Line

Departure Port and Date (yyyy/mm/dd): Liverpool, England - 1919-08-13

Port and Date of Arrival: Halifax, Nova Scotia - 1919-08-21 New York - [1919-08]

List includes: Returning soldiers

Thanks for the ship info - much appreciated.

Ted

Thanks for the ship info - much appreciated.

Ted

Ralph,

Many thanks for the heads up that the tread has got bigger :)

Ted, Thanks for the reply. you must be my 3rd cousin a few times removed :) I will write more in a day or so. Hae just returned to france after a break in the UK.

Any info on Owen and Alfred greatly received, and your self as well.

I have been researching Perrotts in the GW for a while. I have been a bit quiet for the last few years though as I got married and had a family.

My mother has been doing the family tree for many a year so If you are interested in the Perrott liniage there are quite a few generations I could (or my Ma) probably could assist you with if your doing the history.

Cheers

A happy and smiley Leigh.

Ralph,

Ted, Thanks for the reply. you must be my 3rd cousin a few times removed :) I will write more in a day or so. Hae just returned to france after a break in the UK.

I have been researching Perrotts in the GW for a while. I have been a bit quiet for the last few years though as I got married and had a family.

My mother has been doing the family tree for many a year so If you are interested in the Perrott liniage there are quite a few generations I could (or my Ma) probably could assist you with if your doing the history.

Cheers

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the info - eagerly awaiting your reply.

Ted

(Direct descendant of Owen Charles and Violet May Bush)

• 3 weeks later...

Note that Mount Pleasant Cemetery in midtown Toronto has a fine stand alone tall memorial to the 48th. Highlanders originally bought for by the regiment PRIOR to 1914 (I think in 1912) to commemorate 2 members killed in a railway accident when the unit was returning from a military exercise prior to the war. The regiment decided to turn it into a WWI and generic memorial though.

John

Toronto

John, isn't there also a very tall 48th monument at the north end of Queen's Park? As I recall it has the badges of tall the battalions the 48th raised.

Will get back to you and the thread followers on this but I doubt it. I don't recall this - only a tall but smaller plinth like memorial that is WWI but not sure for whom exactly at the very north end tip of Queen's Park circle if that is the memorial that you are referring to. Heh we're starting to sound like all those MOTHER COUNTRY local experts eh? :lol:

John

Toronto

Thanks Michael for helping out someone from out of country. Odd I pass this memorial many times but last time though straining I didn't wish to hold up traffic so could not confirm it was a 48th. memorial.

John

I grew up in the Annex, and spent more years than I care to think of at the University of Toronto. The Faculty of Law is just across from the monument on the west side, and Victoria College on the east. I probably passed it daily going from the law school back to St. Mike's for lunch.

I always thought it was a pity there were no names, unlike the now almost forgotten Sons of England memorial on Unviersity Avenue.

• 2 months later...

Hi Leigh,

I hope you are keeping well.

As this forum may not be the correct place to discuss genealogy, I wonder if you or your mother could contact me directly off forum at: sleethe AT ymail DOT com

I think we both have information on the Perrott family that each of us may be interested in.

Hpoing to hear from you soon,

Ted

Ralph,

Cheers

• 2 years later...