Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Names On War Memorials

Peter Bennett

Could Members please help & advise how men could be named on Local War Memorials, some even giving a date of death, yet there are no records on CWGC database nor Soldiers Died CD-ROM.

I am aware how easy it was to get misspellings and typographical errors, but I have reached a brick wall.

Thank you

Peter Bennett

Welcome Peter, to the strange world of War Memorials. This subject has been handle before in the old archived forum. Then a lot of people posted their missing names and some were found. I have had a lot of help finding my missing on this forum. My greatgrand mother was a McAdorey. This fairley rare name has been researched by a researcher in Derry and myself from Larne. On the War Memorial in Larne there is a McAdorey but we cannot find any sight of him in Larne or Public Records Office, CWGC or SDGW but he is on the Memorial. On the Larne Memorial the connection with larne is sometime filmsy. A methodist minster worked during the war years in Larne before returning to Belfast. His son born, raised, educated in Belfast and had moved to Canada before the war died in Canadian service is on it. A Ballymena RN sailor with no Larne connection is on it because his sister lived in Larne. The list goes on. I am not complaining that they are on it but trying to explain why you might be having difficulty in finding local links. The other side of the coin is I have about 150 plus on the Memorial but have found another 150 plus that should have been on it..

Post your names and perhaps a Pal might be able to help you.

greetings

Liam

Peter

If you can access old minutes kept by The Royal British Legion or its predecessor, Comrades of The Great War, you might find some clues as to reasons for inclusion (or exclusion). Similarly, you may find details included if a souvenir memorial brochure was published at the time of unveiling.

Paul

Could Members please help & advise how men could be named on Local War Memorials, some even giving a date of death, yet there are no records on CWGC database nor Soldiers Died CD-ROM.

Peter

One possibility:

There are many cases in Australia where the soldier has enlisted under an alias - but his real name has been listed on his local memorial. A headache to be sure!

Good luck & Cheers, Frev

If you know the unveiling date for the memorial, quite often a local paper will have details of the soldiers. If it is for a village I have also found parish/village magazines an invaluable source of details.

One reason they may not be on CWGC/SDGW is that they either died outside the official cut off date or they died of an unrelated illness after serving and the local community decided they deserved to be included on the memorial.

good luck

Lesley

Welcome to the nightmare

So many possibilities and hunches

It is a challenge but when you get one home then it really feels good :D

John

Welcome to the Vortex, once you enter it you can never leave.

IMHO the rules of researching a memorial are

1. never assume that the names on the memorial are correct or correctly spelt either on the memorial or any records of the name.

2. never assume they died between 1914-18

3. never assume they are listed as UK dead

4. never assume they lived or were born in the town/city/village

5. assume you will get plenty of good advice and help on this forum.

All the best

Kevin

Hello

its very frustrating

I have a trio to a chap who isnt on the local memorial but there is some one of the same surname (initials nothing like) who I cant find any where!

A friend has a medal to a chap whos house is opposite the memorial and hes not on it

All good fun!

:rolleyes:

Ian

If you know the unveiling date for the memorial, quite often a local paper will have details of the soldiers. If it is for a village I have also found parish/village magazines an invaluable source of details.

One reason they may not be on CWGC/SDGW is that they either died outside the official cut off date or they died of an unrelated illness after serving and the local community decided they deserved to be included on the memorial.

good luck

Lesley

Odd that, Brian - my grand-dad is a case in point. he's on the village memorial (Ashmansworth, near Newbury), and I know he died on Armistice Day. He is not on the CWGC, or on MIC at Kew. I have a photo of him, in uniform, minus cap badge. Answer - he joined up in February 1915 and was discharged as "Unlikely ever to make an efficient soldier" (cheek - my grand-dad), and "Flat Feet and Hammer Toes" appended - on his full set of records at Kew - in March 1915. Total service - 15 days.

He then died at home, in bed, of bronchial failure ('flu epidemic), is buried in the local church yard (grave now lost). The local old-soldiers decided to put him on the memorial as he had enlisted, at 37, despite having a wife and 4 children.

Mind you, if I'd been married to my grandmother, I'd have joined the Foreign legion; she was an old tartar!

Still, it illustrates the point. And it provides a laugh on a quiet evening....

Cheers Steven

I am aware how easy it was to get misspellings and typographical errors, but I have reached a brick wall.

Thank you

Peter Bennett

Many thanks to everyone for their replies, the names I am looking for are John Farlington died 1914, Dennis Cuddy died 1915.

There are 107 names on this memorial and I have found all but these two, yes there were many misspellings but no aliases.

Regards

Peter

A lifetimes work :)

mine has been ... see all one family thread,, and thats one of them

John

A lifetimes work :)

Another Pal has come up with a good idea on helping to find the missing. He had visited the local Larne cementery and had searched all the graves for a referance to a loved one killed in WW1. He just sent a selection of his digital pictures including one we think is one of the missing names plus one that is not named on the local war memorial.

So a sunday walk around your local graveyard may enlighten you, as well as a relaxing way to spend an afternoon reflecting.

Liam

Guest geoff501

Peter,

I have had problems with spellings in military records different from the usual family name. Would help if the search engines had a 'fuzzy' switch.

What has helped me is a visit to the local library to look through the local papers on microfilm. I found lists of men enlisted in the army or navy, this helped identify regiments in a few cases and also gave a full name to add to the initial on the memorial. Casuality reports gave the service number, but usually no other new details. In a few cases letters, or extracts were published from men at the front or at sea - these were very interesting. It's not an easy job searching and I've only got through 6 months so far, which took several hours, but was very worthwhile.