Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Salonika POW camps

Guest DWilson

Guest DWilson

My grandfather, E J Black was in the ASC and ended up as a prison guard in Salonika in 1918 and 1919. My mother still has a beautiful carved jewel box from one of the prisoners. Is there anywhere I can find information on these camps or the units guarding them. Why and how they got to be there ?

Dermot Wilson

Dermot

The war diaries for POW camps under the control of the British Salonika Force can be found in the National Archive at Kew (WO 95 series). I've looked at the one for No.10 (Bulgar) POW Camp and found it quite interesting in places - one camp guard court martialled for selling booze to the prisoners, prisoners going on strike (they were supposed to be doing road repair work) until given more rations or shorter working hours! The British seem to have been very good at making sure all national holidays for prisoners were observed - sensible as this would have been excuse for more disturbances. Big problem with Bulgar and Turkish POWs in Salonika Campaign was that if they escaped they easily blended into the local population. Often these men gave themselves up for want of food. There are many reports in standing orders etc for troops to look out for escaped prisoners - giving physical description and name. Finally, as the staff of these POWcamps was small there is a good chance that all of them get a mention at some point in the War Diary.

ALAN