Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcesters in Gallipoli

Guest Simon Walker

Guest Simon Walker

Hi,

I just came across a diary entry for 6 August 1915 that reads

"In the afternoon, our artillery, assisted by some battleships & a monitor, bombarded the enemy's right wing. This was followed by an attack by our fellows in the afternoon. All that was required of them they did but at a terrible expenditure of lives. The Worcestershires alone lost 742 killed. – nearly 90% killed. The Turks must have lost most fearfully.

The idea of the attack was to keep the enemy busy while the IX Army Corps landed at Suvla Bay."

This was the attack from Cape Helles timed to coincide with the landings at Suvla and the attacks from Anzac Cove.

Question is, are these figures accurate? The entry was made by a member of the RAOC.

Simon Walker

Guest Hill 60

A quick look on SDGW cd with the criteria of:

1. KiA

2. Gallipoli

3. Worcesters

4. 6 Aug 1915

2 Officers and 359 Other Ranks

Hi Simon

Was it the 9th Battalion of the Worcs. I am just asking as one of my Dad's relitives of this battalion Died of Wounds on the 9/8/15. His name is on the Helles Memorial. He was Cpl. 18661 Daniel, Trow. I known little about Gallipoli or the 9/Worcs.

Regards

Annette

I'll check on the precise figures in Stack over the weekend. At least 5 men from Bewdley died with the 4th Worcs on the 6th August. It was the attack on Krithia vineyard, and it was a massacre.

There's a nice piece on the men of Cradley Heath in the Black Country at Gallipoli here, mostly 4th and 9th Worcesters:

http://www.cradleylinks.com/cradleys_at_gallipoli.html

Very much my home territory!

Cheers

Simon (F)

Simon,

Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli' has the following for the 4th Batt The Worcestershire Regiment

"Moved forward to firing line (6th Aug). Position on right of Worcester Flat. Strength 24 officers, approx. 800 other ranks. Took part in action at the Vineyard. Attacked trench H13 at 3.50 pm - leading waves cut down by machine gun fire from front and both flanks while crossing No Man's Land (300 yds). "The Official History of the Great War" records that very few unwounded men of the Worcestershire reached the enemy's trenches. Those that did being attacked by large numbers of Turks. At the end of 1 hour's fighting the only British still holding out in this part of the line were 30 men led by a sergeant. Just 12 survivors withdrew to their original front line after midnight. Relieved dawn (7th Aug) and to Gully Beach. Casualties - 16 officers, 752 other ranks."

If anything, a very slight under-statement by your diarist

Michael D.R.

Annette,

From the same book (Westlake's 'British Regiments at Gallipoli') re 9th Batt.

"Moved north 11pm (6th Aug), marching east of Plugge's Plateau to mouth of Reserve Gully. Continued march early morning (7th Aug) arriving Aghyl Dere at dawn. Moved forward for attack behind 9th Gloucestershire 7am. Reached Little Table Top then ordered to reassemble at Aghyl Dere. Ordered to attack Hill "Q" 7pm. Moved forward behind 7th North Staffordshire and Indian Mountain Battery 9pm. In his war history of the Worcestershire Regiment, Captain H. FitzM. Stacke MC. notes the advance as being slow due to boulders, scrub and the mules of the Mountain Battery. The latter being driven by "bewildered natives." Halted for night. Advance continued at daybreak. Deployed below crest of Hill "Q". Later relieved by 6th South Lancashire and withdrew to support line. In support of attack on Hill "Q" (9th Aug). Took over left of Brigade front near The Farm. Enemy attacked dawn (10th Aug). First rolling bombs down hill side which exploded in forward trenches. Regiment history notes that Battalion held its ground against rush after rush for 3 hours until finally forced to retire down to head of ravine. Casualties - Lt Col Nunn, Maj.s Crofton & Boyd-Moss, Cpt Rolph, 2nd. Lieut.s Hiscock & Lancaster and 34 other ranks killed. Maj Barker mortally wounded. Five officers, 163 other ranks wounded, 54 missing believed killed."

I hope this helps (and I recommend Westlake's book)

Regards

Michael D.R.

Hi all

Thanks for the email Simon with useful web address. And thanks to Michael and Paul, excellent.

Regards

Annette