Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Channel Crossing

Ozzie

How long would it have taken for a boat to cross the Channel in 1916, with rough weather and leaving at 8pm? This is in November. Is there morning fog at that time on the France side?

Educated guesses would be fine.

Ta

Kim

Depends what you mean by 'Channel crossing'. One of the most common routes was Southampton to Le Havre/Rouen. I have a record of an artillery battery taking 36 hours from the time they left Southampton to docking at Rouen. This was in May 1916. Other, less precise information, suggest embarking AM one day and disembarking AM the following day.

On the short crossing, Folkestone to Boulogne, I have 'late morning' to arrive at 2.15pm.

These are all May 1916 crossings.

Thanks Bill,

Yes, it was Southampton to Le Havre, I ave that they left at 8pm and arrived ' next morning' . What i am trying to acertain is what time in the morning and what thay would have seen on approach to Le Havre. If there is constant fog at that time of the year the n I can't say they arrived on hot day and saw such and such. What do you see on the approach to Le Havre?. So it wll change my words, according to the local weather in November and what time they arrived.

Thanks

Kim

There is not constant fog in the English Channel at any time of the year. It can vary from day to day and even hour to hour. And a lot of the time while it is not actually foggy, there is quite a lot of haze which limits visibility.

For example, on a clear day you can see the Dover cliffs from Calais. I have seen this many times all year round, but it is totally unpredictable. I remember one occasion on the ferry back to Dover the day after seeing the cliffs and the English coast was not visible from the ferry until we were no more than a mile or so out.

If you are attempting true historical accuracy, you will need to try and locate the weather records or the ship's log.

Unfortunately, le Havre is just about the only Channel port I have never sailed into, so I cannot give you an impression of what is to be seen on the approach.

What I think we can say though is that in November it would not have been exactly hot!

Actually, the temperature (at least) on the Somme in November 1916 was quite good for the first half, averaging the mid to high 50s F until the 15th when the temperature fell by 20 degrees in two days!