Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lob Street

christine liava'a

Can anyone tell me what Lob St refers to?

My greatuncle won a Croix de Guerre there on 23 July 1918.

I have the London Gazette citation, but would like to know more about what was going on. He was in the 1st Battalion, Auckland Reg't, NZEF

Christine

Lob St was a German trench near Hebuterne. The New Zealand Division were very active in this area at that time. They had been rushed down to help stop the German advance during the earlier Spring offensive. By July, the division was helping to push back the Germans. There is no record of any significant action in the divisional history on the actual day you mention.

Robert

post-1473-1117349114.jpg

Thanks Robert,

the Belgians must have thought something occurred at Lob St.

The citation for his medal, in the London Gazette of 5th April 1919 states

“ For conspicuous bravery and devotion to duty in the Field during operations north of Hebuterne on 23rd July 1918. This NCO was in charge of a bombing party which was working down Lob Street in order to drive the enemy from his forward positions. He led his section with great dash and his splendid leadership was responsible fo completely clearing the sap of the enemy. He established his men and held onto the position under heavy machine gun fire in order to allow the rest of the platoon to take up positions on either flank. He showed great bravery throughout and personally sniped four of the enemy.”

How did the Belgians get to know about British incidents, actions, etc? Or were the Belgian Croix de Guerre's actually decided upon by British officers, but awarded by the Belgians?

Can anyone tell me what Lob St refers to?

My greatuncle won a Croix de Guerre there on 23 July 1918.

Lob St. and area as it was in June 1918...(57dNE ed 5d)...

Dave.

post-357-1117395186.jpg

How did the Belgians get to know about British incidents, actions, etc? Or were the Belgian Croix de Guerre's actually decided upon by British officers, but awarded by the Belgians?

Christine, I am not exactly sure in this specific instance. However, I have read of situations where officers would be requested to send in recommendations for the awarding of French medals. I believe GHQ would receive a formal notification that x number of medals were available to be awarded. I think it unlikely the Belgians would have come across this incident otherwise.

Robert

Christine

Here is the trench map from the history of the New Zealand Division. As you can see, the attacks around this time (24th - 28th July) extended the New Zealand zone of control east of Hebuterne, creating a re-entrant for Lob St Trench and its neighbours. You can see the captured trenches called Moa, Shag and Crayfish.

Robert

post-1473-1117397651.jpg