Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

BAdge of Royal Fusilier Regiment

PFF

Why were 7th Royal Fusiliers awarded Bursting Granade As a BAdge?

Since all Fusilier regiments had a grenade badge, their choice was presumably somewhat limited! Phil B

Since all Fusilier regiments had a grenade badge, their choice was presumably somewhat limited! Phil B

Succinct!

Do you mean the Royal Fusiliers, or the 7th Londons, who also had a bursting grenade badge?

And I'm thinking - to expand slightly on the previous answer - that the grenade was used by fusilier regiments in 'the good old days' in their role of protecting artillery; the badge being a representation of a fuse-lit grenade smouldering before exploding.

The 7th Royal Fusiliers 1914-1918.

Odd I thought the Fusiliers were organized as a Artillery protection unit-and that Grenades were only used by the Grenadier Company of a regiment.

I'm ignorant of the origin of fusiliers as units but I always assumed that they got their name from the French word 'fusil' or rifle. Could someone enlighten me?

Regards

Carninyj

Why were 7th Royal Fusiliers awarded Bursting Granade As a BAdge?

The 7th Battalion Royal Fusiliers wore the same exploding grenade badge (but in whitemetal, not brass) as the regulars. The 7th City of London Regiment (brass exploding grenade badge with a whitemetal '7') were not connected with the RF but were the 3rd London RVC later to become a Volunteer Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps.

Keith

carninj,thats right,it was a type of musket/rifle,thats how they got their name,bernard

I'm ignorant of the origin of fusiliers as units but I always assumed that they got their name from the French word 'fusil' or rifle.  Could someone enlighten me?

Regards

Carninyj

Yes - 'fusil' was the name of the short musket they were armed with as artrillery protection, but I believe they used grenades as well. Again, not sure, but I think the 7th were the only 'true' fuislier regiment, and that regiments such as the 5th (Northumberland) were awarded it as an 'honour' title well after the role had become redundant.

Confusing.