Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battalion Numbering

Glenn

I know this is a subject that often raises its head but can somebody in simple terms tell me what the 2/4, 2/5th, 2/6th 3/4th, 3/5th and 3/6th unit numbers represent. I understand the logical whole number formations but I am still to fully grasp the fractions?

many thanks,

Glenn

Guest Hill 60

To quote from 'British Regiments 1914-1918, E. A. James'

In March 1915 all Territorial units were ordered to form a third reserve unit. The first and second line would be operational while the third would supply drafts for the other two. At this time the fractional designations, 1/1st, 2/1st and 3/1st came into use.

Guest Stoner

Or to put it in its basist terms, if it is a "fractional" battalion number, then they are from a Territorial Battalion?

Mark

Not necessarily.

Those battalions numbered 1/4, 2/4, 3/4 and even 4/4 for example, are highly likely to be TF.

However, in the various moves and mergers of units that happened in the army, other 'fractions' arose, like 12/13 Northumberland Fusiliers. This was formed by merging 12 and 13, both New Army battalions. There are other examples.

You can find out for sure, in every case, by checking that battalion at www.1914-1918.net. Click on Tommies, then on Infantry, then choose your regiment.