Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC

Terry Carter

There was a topic a few weeks ago regarding the upgrade to the search facilities on the CWGC web site. They are on trial to a few selected visitors to the site. How is it going? Will it belong before we can all use the new facilites?

Regards

Terry

Terry

As you will recall from the earlier thread, I have been assisting with the CWGC upgrade since January as an independent 'test driver'.

The timescale given to me originally was wildly underestimated (isn't it always!) considering the amount of work to be done and policy decisions still to be made.

When you see the new site, you will not appreciate that it has had to be rebuilt virtually from scratch as it is to serve internal CWGC purposes as well as those of the general public. To the public it will simply look similar to the current site but with additional features.

Phase 1 will allow searching by cemetery, will provide cemetery plans where they exist in the defunct registers and cemetery photos plus statistics on number of burials etc. Also, the system will be 'live' in terms of updates etc instead of being a static, out-of-date copy of the database.

I enquired as to the latest time estimate two weeks ago and was informed that there had been a delay while some internal issues (to which I am not party) were sorted but matters are now rolling again. Meanwhile the extensive programme of error correction continues. I am party to this daily!

As I promised previously, I'll post the unveiling date as soon as I know it and have permission to do so.

Phase 2 with further features is scheduled for later this year but again timescales may slip as it will require yet further extensive computer work (on a very limited budget).

Meanwhile, if anyone would like me to check any details on the updated site to which I have access, please email me off Forum.