Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Hon Captain & Quartermaster"

ianw

My Great Uncle emigrated to Australia in 1911 with 12 years as a 21st Lancer under his belt. He joined the 11th Light Horse in 1915 and died of illness in Egypt in 1917.

He is listed as "Hon Captain and Quartermaster" . Does anyone know if these titles went hand in hand ? Or any other signicance of this rank combination.

QM commissions were not 'combatant' as defined. This does not mean they were not armed, and not expected to kill and be killed. It did however prevent them from exercising command over combatant officers of inferior rank or seniority. Thus an Hon Major QM could not command a Captain. Along with Riding Masters and a few other categories, they were promoted from long-serving senior NCO and WO after a life of undiscovered crime. Initial rank was Lt and QM, paid a little better than some combatant Lts. Promotion was primarily by time, and I think Lt Col was top rank possible.

In contrast, combatatant commissions were indeed available from the ranks, very few in peacetime, and had no 'Hon' up front. A man could be promoted from junior NCO rank, indeed, as there was a tight upper age limit for these promotions [26 from memory] he might have got little further in NCO seniority. The war changed a lot: field [combatant] commissions were given to very old [in army terms] CSMs RQMSs and RSMs in the desperate days of Oct/Nov 1914.

Coming back to Quartermasters. I do believe it was possible to be a QM without the non-combatant tag, certainly Acting QM.

Hope this helps.

The explanation in the previous post just about explains it all. Certainly pre-war, the award of an honourary rank was given as a way of recognising good service on retirement. In the case of your relative, this was presumably given for the same reason on his death.

Out of interest I wonder if this Hon. rank would have had any added financial benefit for his widow?

Terry Reeves

Thanks for this information, guys. I am sure as a long serving British regular , his experience would have been invaluable to his ANZAC unit and resulted in his hon. captain rank. He was most definitely of humble origin having been educated with his brothers in the Hibernian Miltary School in Dublin following the death of his hussar father.

Interestingly it seems a number of cavalry men went to Australia about this time. Do you mind me asking which Hussar regiment his father was with and what you know of his service in Austrailia from 1911 to 1914?

Patrick,

No unfortunately , I do not know his father's regiment but the family came from the Cork area. The sons were all educated at the Hibernian School and all then went into the Army when they reached 14 - 19th Hussars, 4th Hussars, 21st Lancers and Rifle Brigade. The latter 2 died during the Great War. My Rifle Brigade Great Uncle emigrated to Canada (with Army permission) but returned home to serve in 1915 and die in Ypres in 1916.

I do not currently know what he did in Australia between 1911 and 1915 - no indications of military service before 18.01.15 , but there were a number of Levingstons already well established in Queensland and he may have had family connections to gain work, a roof etc.

Guest stevebec

Ian,

Alfred enlisted as RQMS to the 11th ALHR on the 15th Jan 1915 and was appionted Hon/Lt & QM before the Regt sailed in 1915.

He died as Capt & QM of what was called a Cellulitus neck.

He is shown as enlisting at age 33 as a Storeman from Rockhampton Qld and NOK is shown as Southampton UK.

You can request is service record either over the net or order it from the Australian National Archives Site look for WWI service records.

S.B

Steve,

Thanks for that info. I searched the Australian War Mem. website and got most of it. You must have managed to get one level deeper e.g the info about him being a storeman and his rank on joining the light horse was not available to me . Could you advise what database yielded your fuller info ?

Guest stevebec

Yes mate,

Try the book "The History of the Eleventh Light Horse Regiment 1914-1918" By Ernest W. Hammond.

It may be hard to find but there are a few entries in related to Alfred.

I also have records of all Light Horse embarkment rolls of file so I knew which unit and details of him and what he went on.

S.B

Steve,

Thanks again. I have ordered his record . I must get hold of the history. Do you know if it has been reprinted or will I have to buy a contemporary copy at vast cost ? I presume there will be more copies in Australia than anywhere else. I have looked on Bookfinder and no copies I'm afraid. Would you know how to source a copy ?

Cellulitis is a severe inflammation of the tissues caused by bacterial infection (which usually enters the skin through a wound). The spread of the infection through the lymphatic system produces pus and high fever. Those who have a congenital blockage of the lymphatic system are most at risk.

Neil