Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Cards

InkyBill

Hello

I've been looking trough the Medal Cards at the PRO and some just bear no info at all other than name, battalion and number.

If a mans service record does not exist it makes it virtually impossible to find out when he first entered a theatre of war.

The main culprit Regiment for lack of info i've found is the Essex Reg, has anyone else had this problem ?

Is it worth checking the Medal Rolls or would they hold the same info as the cards ?

thanks

Bill

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Bill,

Medal rolls also vary in the amount of info recorded. One of the most informative I looked at recently was the 15th London Regt. Against a man's name it gave the code for the front he served on and the dates he was there. This made it possible to link up from the war diary. Some medal rolls contain s** al info, one good example is the War & Victory medal rolls of the Labour Corps and the MGC, althouhg at least the MGC roll does give date of demob or death. It really varies across the catalogue from my humble experience.

Ian

Simple rule. ALWAYS check the medal roll(s).

It might add no further detail than that you see on the card. But in many cases it does. For an infantryman, it will add his battalion(s) - I can't recall seeing one that did not.

For gunners, engineers, etc as Ian says above, the chances are that it will say no more.

Thanks Ian and Chris

I'll check the rolls as well, hopfully i'll find whatever other info there is.

regards

Bill

The index cards only give a date of entering service abroad for a 1914 and 1914-15 Star man. Anyone entering from 1.1.16 has little detail on the card.

No help for those who died but a great source of info are the SWB rolls. Date of enlistment and date of discharge, as well as reason. I am photographing all the R Warwicks. Have completed 2 out of the 6 volumes so far. Interestingly, I do not believe I have found a single TF man yet, all regular and NA men.

Rob

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Date of entry is given on the MICs of Officers who only qualify for the BWM/Victory pair plus theatre first served in.

Ian :ph34r:

Rob

That's intresting that those arriving after 1/1/16 have no date of entry on their card, that makes sense as i was doing quite well until i hit 1916 :rolleyes:

Ian

Thanks for the officers tip, i'm quite lucky as i am looking at four of them and three of their service records still exist. The fourth, (a RAMC man) his card has turned out to be quite informative.

Cheers

Bill