Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anthony Buckeridge's Father

Hedley Malloch

Like many others I was brought up on a diet of Jennings' books and Home Service plays. I am reading his biography; it states that his father, a bank clerk, was killed during WW1, but gives no further information. Does anyone know where he is buried or commemorated? There are about half-a-dozen candidates in the CWGC database, but no clues.

Many thanks in advance for all help received.

Not 100%, but I suspect he was Ernest George Buckeridge. Pte. 9945. 2nd Batt. Honorable Artillary Company. Commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

The reasoning is as follows.

Anthony was born on 20-6-12. His father would probably have been between 25 and 30 as people generally married later in those days.

Anthony was born in London. A check of the 1901 census and some simple maths, reveals an Ernest Buckeridge, Bank Clerk, aged 18, living in St Pancras London.

There is only one Ernest Buckeridge on the CWGC site for WW1.

I appreciate this is not conclusive but has to be very probable. Some kind soul with SDGW might like to check that the above man came from London St Pancras.

Cheers

post-1-1057143573.jpg

Some more leads from the web:

His father was a bank clerk who, like too many of his generation, was tragically killed during World War I when Anthony was very young.

http://histclo.hispeed.com/lit/uk/auth/ecla-buck.html

I'm not really a boarding-school type at all. My father was killed in the First World War, when I was seven. He was a bank clerk, and the bank clerks' orphanage sent all we orphans to one particular school. Had my father lived, I'm quite sure I would have gone to a state day school.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/serge.passions/ben...rd_original.htm

I loved these books when I was a kid! An alien world from my 70s comprehensive! (which educated me extremely well I hasten to add!!)

Simon

Guest Steve Seaman

From SDGW

Ernest George BUCKERIDGE

Private 9045 HAC

Enlisted West London

born St Pancras

resided Highgate London

The only discrepancy here is his army number SDGW gives it as 9045

Steve

Headley,

The following is taken from the Roll of Honour, page 487, of 'The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War' edited by G. Gould Walker.

BUCKERIDGE, Ernest George. Pte. 2nd Battalion. Admitted 18-1-'17. Overseas 3-4-'17. K. in A. Bullecourt 3-5-'17.

Ernest, like my Grand Uncle who also was kia. on the same day has no- known-grave is commemorated on the Arras Memorial.

I've just looking up some details on a L/Cpl., Ronald Percy Jeaffreson, an old boy of a local Public School who's name is listed on the their War Memoiral. It so happens he also was in the 2nd Battalion HAC and kia 3-5-17 at Bullecourt.

Alan Seymour