Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War

Doug Lewis

Shaun

There is quite a bit of info and a couple of pics,too much to post on here. Please send me an email address and I will send it to you.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug

Have you any information on Sgt Edgar George 5706/242061.

He was awarded the MM for an act of gallantry on the night of the 6th/7th April 1917 according to a local newspaper. Do you know which battalion he served in and where they were for this date?

I would be grateful for any information.

Thanks

David

Dave

I will look and let you know. I'm busy at the moment so it will probably be after xmas

Regards Doug

Shaun

I have sent the information you requested.

Regards Doug.

Hi Doug

Have you any information on Sgt Edgar George 5706/242061.

He was awarded the MM for an act of gallantry on the night of the 6th/7th April 1917 according to a local newspaper. Do you know which battalion he served in and where they were for this date?

Dave

The book records his award of the M.M. giving the Gazette date 26/5/17 but nothing else. It does not tell me which Battalion he was in, so without that I cannot give you any information as to where he was when he earned the M.M.

Regards Doug.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Doug,

Would it be possible to provide me with a large scan of the General Grogan VC which appears in the Worcestershire Reg history.

If that is possible my e mail address is below:

blanchie@btinternet.com

Regards

David

Edited by David_Blanchard

• 1 month later...

2nd Battalion Worcestershire Regiment

7836 L/Cpl W Hadley MM

Hi Doug,

Finally got around to researching my wifes side of the family and this gentleman pops up, with a Military Medal no less.

Is there any chance of you doing a quick look through your history to see if there is any reference to the action he won his award. He was gazetted on 10th Aug 1916.

If it is not too much of an imposition could you give me a quick run down of where this Battalion also served. Sorry to be such a pain.

Many thanks in advance

Martyn

Doug,

My great uncle (Wiliam Bertie Goody) was killed serving with the 2nd Worcesters on the 21st of October 1914.

I have already looked up his service record at the NA, plus the battalion War Diary entry for that day, and I doubt there will be much if anything in Stacke's history - but if you wouldn't mind having a look, I'd much appreciate it.

Many thanks

Alan

Alan

My assistant has already completed the search ;):lol:

Regards Doug.

Martyn

It is very difficult to work out what action he was in,in relation to the date of being gazetted. I would say it was either when the Btn was involved in the Battle of Bazentin Ridge 14th-17th July or the Battle of High Wood (second phase) 19th/20 July.

It's easier to go here http://www.1914-1918.net/worcester.htm to find out where his Btn served.

If you want any information in relation to what I have written,please let me know.

Regards Doug.

i always wanted to be doug's little helper :)

:lol::lol:

Enoch and Doug,

Thanks for your help - Doug for offering initially and Enoch for posting so quickly!

There is actually quite a bit more information in the history than there is in the War Diary for October 21st; the entry there is pretty scanty, so this helps a lot in giving me some background. In the war diary 2 officers and 16 men are recorded killed on the 21st; Lt. Curtler is mentioned, and his name is recorded on the Menin Gate like my Great-Uncle. The other officer killed was Captain Nolan, who is buried at Perth (China Wall) Cemetery.

Another officer was recorded as missing (Lt. E.A. Haskett Smith) but I can't find him on CWGC, so I don't know whether he later turned up.

What I'm wondering is whether the other men killed were buried or have no known grave like my Great-Uncle. I believe it's possible to search on SDGW on date and regiment, I wonder if anyone would be kind enough to do this?

Many thanks

Alan