Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Old Fort at Seddülbahir

The Plummed Goose

• 1 year later...

Hi Michael, Eric, Bill, Jon etc,

Almost a year to the date of the last post I have finally found a photo of Doughty-Wylie Fort, well not quite a photo but a period drawing done c June 1915. I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across this .. its was paired with a similar drawing of fort No.1 and was once in the General Staff papers relating to surveys.

regards, Steve

post-1114-1207667302.jpg

Many thanks for sharing this Steve

As far as I can see this does not contradict Capt Nightingale

"... wire entanglements, through which was the way out leading past the deserted Turkish trenches to the summit of the hill. On top was a flat space surrounded by a moat 20 feet deep with only one entrance leading up over it, through which the assaulting troops were lead by Colonel Doughty-Wylie and Major Grimshaw."

And roughly agrees with what passed for maps in 1915

No mention of any building, which was where we came in, so to speak

How's the book coming on by the way?

best regards

Michael

Hi Michael,

Eric has found a photo of the Fort, so one of us will post as soon as.

"Anzac The Landing" will be out late next month, ISBN: 9781844157228.

cheers, Steve

• 7 months later...

as a good forumite i should be "wrapping" up this post ... which i'll do ...

Letters refer to the attached map :

A : ruined barracks : probably these were the barracks of the artillery connected to Ertugrul (still not sure about that) build in the second half of the 19th century. most large batteries on the dardanelles have a simular "elegant" building but what makes me doubt is its exposure to enemy fire. a picture -probably taken towards the end of the 19th century will come in the next post and shows the building still intact. Due to the heavy shelling by the navy it was ruined (pictures by michael (post 25), bill (post 47) and myself (post 32) and also was named "ruined barracks" by the allieds (map post 16 by Orion).

B. hill 141 - Fort doughty-wylie is called by the Turks "the ruined castle" and its remains are still visuable durig the campaign. See pictures and sketch posted by Steve (post 53 and 56) and also see pictures in the next post. I presume this castle was pre-Ottoman and possibly even pre-byzantine. It is after all an ideal location overlooking (controlling) the entrance of the Strait. Today still some of the foundations can be seen (post 28 by myself).

C. "The Old Fort" - Fort nr 3 - Seddülbahir fort. no further explanation except that the picture in post 9 is the Seddülbahir Fort, not the barracks is I thought wrongly.

Thank you for your contributions !!

eric

and the pictures

eric

post-7070-1228638586.jpg

post-7070-1228638648.jpg

post-7070-1228638659.jpg

post-7070-1228638669.jpg

• 1 year later...

Eric,

This is an old, old, thread of yours (May 2005), but Eric, your Pals never, never give up

Please take a look at this photograph

theCamberSeddulBahrseenfromthesea-Orig.jpg

It shows a trawler sailing south-west out of the Dardanelles

It is just passing Sedd ul Bahr fort who's easily recognized arched wall is seen above the trawler's bows. To the right of the wall of the fort, is the low grey line of the breakwater of the little harbour, which was later to become famous as 'The Camber'.

Now, please, raise your eyes to the horizon immediately above The Camber.

theCamberSeddulBahrseenfromthesea.jpg

Are these not the ramparts of what was to become known to some as Fort Doughty-Wylie?

best regards

Michael

looks like you can see the windmills as well, to the right of the fort?

Well spotted Steve,

Yes I see that now that you have mentioned it

to the right of the funnel and of the rear mast - two buildings with pale walls which could be circular and their darker roofs, possibly conical, really quite typical of windmills in the area

theCamberSeddulBahrseenfromthesea-Orig-1.jpg

Thanks Steve

Michael

PS: Appropriately enough (after all this is his thread) it was Eric who pin-pointed the windmills for Oak in post #5 of this thread here

Glad that we have them photographed now

• 8 years later...

Never let a good old thread die!

I've just come across another picture of the barracks behind Fort No.3 at Sedd el-Bahr

This one probably dates from 1919 and the Mitchell Report

141627110_BarracksatFortNo.3SeddelBahr.thumb.jpg.95762c7091cb82ac8f578b1c64e22c2f.jpg

I think I have a photo of "Sidd ul Bahr" in my grandfather's album. Must check. 

• 1 year later...

876371931_OldCastleatVBeachseenfromRiverClyde-detail.jpg.d8a4afad852060af4f54acbf17f49eb3.jpg

I was looking up this 'old castle' (the French name) and remembered this thread. Here's a closer scan of the structure, which is more expansive than I thought.

By the way, in Sedd el Bahr village, there are a couple of old-looking structures (curved roofs, one looks a hammam, near NW corner of the fort). Do they date from 1915? Or built after the war, and now in picturesque ruin?

Hi Bryn,

the ruined buildings you asked about were there in 1915, and were in a semi-ruined state at the time, probably as a result of naval shelling. 

One was indeed a bath house, used by the fort's garrison in pre-war times. 

Cheers

The other picturesque ruin

Edited by Eceabat

9 hours ago, b3rn said:

I was looking up this 'old castle' (the French name) and remembered this thread. Here's a closer scan of the structure, which is more expansive than I thought.

Hi Bern & Bill,

There seems to be a very close relationship between your picture in No.67 Bern, and that seen earlier in Steve's No.56

which, if he has the  caption is correct, is the view looking up from V Beach.

As you say the Old Castle does indeed look extensive. It is some years since I last was at Erol's place, but this makes me think that what we can see there  today of the moat and (earth) ramparts, is in fact a very small corner of the ruin which was fought over in 1915 - does anyone agree?

Your reawakening of this thread has caused me to look again at my post of February last year (No.65) and I been pondering whether or not in fact The Mitchell Report got this one right. As far as I am aware, Fort No.3 refers to the guns in the lower battery beneath the castle and (almost) next to the Camber. However, the architecture of the ruin in the righthand half of the picture is to my mind, much more reminiscent of the barracks which were behind Fort No1, Ertuğrul. Is that not what is to be seen here?

Best regards

Michael

Here is a close up, showing Doughty-Wylie Fort, taken from a panoramic photograph of Sedd - El - Bahr village ruins.

Sepoy

NB Is this Fort still visible on the ground ?

SED-EL-BAHR-1.jpg

Edited by Sepoy

'Scuse me for butting in, but these are some photos of "Sedd ul Bahir" from my grandfather's album. I am fairly sure the date is 1922.

Album 1.0 Sedd ul Bahir.jpg

Album 1.5 Sedd ul Bahir.jpg

Album 4 Sedd ul Bahir.jpg

The first of these (following) is of Kilid Bahar, but the others are unmarked. I think they must be in the same area, however.

Album 2 Kilid Bahar.jpg

Album 3 unknown.jpg

Album 5 Unknown.jpg

Album 6 Unknown.jpg

Great photos Sea Jane.
The photo below the Kilid Bahar Castle one, shows the block ships off V Beach together with the French Bouvet Memorial. It was probably taken from the Sedd El Bahr Castle ramparts.
Sepoy

Thank you!

sJ

22 minutes ago, Sepoy said:

Is this the same French Cemetery as shown in Sea Jane's first photograph???

Sepoy

To me the gateway arch looks the same.

sJ