Tom Morgan

A friend who is a member of the WFA in Canada has sent me this announcement:

The Western Front Association is pleased to announce that, following

negotiations with the Lord Chancellor's Department, the National Archives,

and the Ministry of Defence, the WFA has been granted custodianship of the

Great War Medal Index Cards.

The cards of First World War male veterans are now in the possession of the

WFA and have been moved to a secure storage facility. The women veteran's

cards have been given to the Imperial War Museum.

Due the current condition of the cards and the filing cabinets, the WFA's

next step is to provide new storage cabinets and, under the direction of

archivists, to manage the cleaning of the archive.

To secure the long term future for the cards, WFA will need to raise funds

for the administration and long-term care of them. Once the funds have been

raised, we will endeavour to digitally copy the reverse side of the cards

that hold correspondence details -- approximately 5% of the cards. We will

also be seeking a permanent home for this valuable archive.

This is an exciting project for the WFA. in our 25th Anniversary year. We

would ask people to bear with us as we work to secure the future of these

historical and important documents.

Bruce Simpson,

Chairman, The Western Front Association

Tom

good news then, do you how much money they need to raise?

enoch

good news then, do you how much money they need to raise?

enoch

Sorry, but no. I went straight for a look at the WFA site but there's no announcement there yet. There are a couple of congratulatory messages on the "comments" page though, two from Canada and one from the UK. This news was sort of expected but it looks as if our Canadian Pals have been able to pick up the announcement first.

Tom

Correction - there is an announcement on the "Stop Press" section of the WFA Site, which I didn't check a few minutes ago when I first looked.

Edited by Tom Morgan

I'll e-mail Bruce to find out if they know how much and let you know.

Mandy

The announcement , as above, is now on the Association's "Stop press" page.

Now that's what I call a result.

John

Now that's what I call a result.

Absolutely, John! Everyone involved in the negotiations deserves our thanks for their efforts in securing the future of an important historic resource. What amazes me is that this should have ever become an issue.

Gary

Thats Great News indeed.

Andy

I've not previously been a member of the WFA as I can't make their local Saturday meetings but on the strength of this news my subscription will be in the post tomorrow.

• Admin

The announcement has been on stop press since early this afternoon. We don't know how much we need to raise yet. Obviously news will appear in Stop Press as and when things happen.

The announcement will appear on the homepage soon.

Michelle :blink:

Great news!! I also have been considering joining The Western Front Assoc. but entree has been delayed because of an expensive new boiler, The CO had her own agenda, mine was put on the back burner, shall definately make the effort now. Congratulations to everyone who was behind this.

Power to the people.

Len

An impressive result. Well done the WFA! The country really must not throw away its historical documents - I am delighted that these have been saved.

David

Guest Galatea

I am so pleased with this result. Most of the members of my naval website e- mailed their MPs with their concern and had a few replies, not always positive.

Great to see the message has finally got through.

Davie.

:D

Very good news. Well done the W.F.A. and all concerned.

Sounds like a lottery funding project to me with the support of all of the community behind it.

Presumably they will be indexing the digitized images they record.

While they are doing that, might it be possible for them to complete the work the N.A. started and where a battalion designation was indicated on the card actually note it in a searchable index?

The N.A. only made it down to about G or H in the alphabet and then seemed to cut a corner. I've also noted that for some of the early war cards even the R.F.A. brigades are mentioned. This would help clear up a lot of confusion where different battalions within a regiment used the same numbers- London Regt. for instance.

Then we'd have a full functional database of both sides of the cards. :D

Matthew

Well done to everyone concerned in securing the future of these cards. Just shows that the "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells" approach does sometimes work.

Good news - and when we know how (format/price/etc) the address information will be available, probably great news. But let's not forget making even 5% of the card available will be a major undertaking - WFA will need lots of support.

Jock

(who is more than willing to exchange hard cash and/or sexual favours to see the backs of MICs - should I get out more?)

Well done to everyone concerned in securing the future of these cards. Just shows that the "Outraged of Tunbridge Wells" approach does sometimes work.

How did you know I'm from Tunbridge Wells. :D

No really, originally I am. That's a bit spooky. :ph34r:

Matthew

I am extremely relieved to hear this fantastic news. I have been a member of the WFA for a number of years now and to any waiverers out there can throughly recommend their magazine "Stand To!" as a first class read. Enlist today !!

Steve

Excellent. Well done WFA.

Must agree with Gary though, it's scandalous that this has become an issue in the first place.

What is the legal position? Does the WFA now own the MICs and their copyright?

Sorry if this seems a dull question, as I am a very committed member of the WFA, and proud they have achieved this rescue.

everyone is raving about the saving of the mic,as usual,the WFA have saved the day AGAIN,whenever our ww1 heritage is at risk,they are always around to salvage it,but this time i think the PRO have screwed em,what the hell can they do with the info,if they give the info free of charge they will undermine the pro,if they charge a lower rate,they will still undermine the pro/na,if they charge the same rate,they will be competing with them and if they charge a higher rate nobody is going to use them,anyone got any ideas.

Bernard,

I had not thought about the conditions of use in relation to the NA charging etc.

Perhaps they have drawn up a 'charter' of use. Or atleast one would hope that they have both gone down the road of negociating the use of the cards.

good question that i am sure someone will be able to answer. Ask the WFA perhaps?

regards

Arm.

thanks for agreeing with me arm,good to have a colonel in your corner,thought i might have got a bit of flak on this,looks like others agree judging by the non response,i bet if they did come to a arrangment,its one that will let them use the back of the cards only, because they were never used by the n/a,but the most important thing is,that they were saved,good old WFA.bernard

Bernard (and indeed others) - it is still early days. All these issues are going to be resolved, and announcements made in due course. As you say the important thing is that they have been saved from the bin - the next stage to work out their future accessability will begin soon, I can assure you.

PALS

This is great WELL DONE W.F.A.. tO RAISE ANOTHER POINT.I think its about time that the government organisations that look after documents ,FOR US,looked after them properly.THEY BELONG TO THE NATION ,or ,inthis case,THE NATIONS.

WHY do we have to pay to access our own documents??This is not the case with CANADIAN OR AUSTRALIAN,OR NEWZEALAND DOCUMENTS.mOST OF THEM ARE FREELY AVALIABLE ON LINE.This is a left-over from the days when the rulling elete were responsible for every bit of our lives.Let us say QUEEN VICTORIA IS DEAD.This is the 21 century.We must have access to OUR documents.We know that they have to be payed for but that is the function of central and local government.These records should not be held just for those who can aford them.THEY BELONG TO ALL OF US RICH AND POOR,and not just to those IN AUTHORITY.

You may think that I am over the top.BUT REMEMBER they tried to make us pay to go into OUR MUSEUMS.We are gradually loosing our freedoms.Let us try to do something about this.OUR BGOYS DIED THAT WE MIGHT BE FREE.WE OWE IT TO THEM TO MAKE SURE THEIR SACRIFICES WERE NOT IN VAIN.

Sorry pals but this does anoy me.

cheers.

JOHN.