Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Bedfordshire Regmnt War Diaries

steve fuller

Steve,

I would just like to say thank you for your excellent site link.

I am helping a friend research the death of a relative, William Wickens, missing in the battle of Arras, France 24th March 1918 aged 27 years (4th Bedfords), and your link has been of considerable help already.

Regards,

Brendon.

• 1 year later...

Hi Steve, thanks for a great site. I'd value your opinion. I have a 2nd Beds. man on a Suffolk memorial I am researching, he's 26615 Pte. George Arthur Turner, DOW 24/12/16. Buried in Warlincourt Halte B.C. Your site Diary for December 1916 shows that 2nd Bn. casualties for that month amounted to 8 on 5/12/16 and 4 on 21/12/16, plus 2 killed, all in the front line trenches at Berles-au-Bois. Billets were at Humbercamps.

I note that 20th & 43rd CCS were at Warlincourt during that period, am I right to think that's where any Beds. casualties would be taken?

I'm guessing that he was wounded on one of the above dates and his wounds were too severe to get him to a Base Hospital, have you any suggestions?

Keith

• 1 month later...
Carninyj

Just thinking out loud now, but check back in a few days. I say this as theres a good chance his name was spelt KIDD as well, so there may be extra entries with him in, but I need to "format" the diary to some degree to have a good look through for him. Will also pm you if I find anything else!

Cheers

Steve i dont know wether i am too late but do you have any info on Simeon Turton who was transferred into the 7th Bedfordshires from the 8th bttln South Staffordshire regt on 17 June 1917. He was wounded on 16 August by friendly fire and wounded again on 24 April 1918. Unfortunately he is the one member of the family i have no photo of

• 7 years later...

In following up family history of my great uncle, 2nd Lieutenant James Hirst Banyard (1st Battalion, Beds), who was killed on 3rd Sept 1916 I am trying to piece together the movement of the Battalion over the last few days of his life. In doing so I would like to locate the position of the "Silesian" trenches referred to in the War Diaries (see excerpt). I take them to be the complex of german trenches running NW to SE between Maricourt to the south and Hardencourt to the NW on the trench map Marincourt 62c N.W.1. (trenches correct to 2-6-16). I have been unable to find a map showing them by name.

Grateful of any help

Michael Banyard

REPORT ON OPERATIONS ON 3rd - 6th SEPTEMBER BY 1st BATTALION BEDFORDSHIRE REGIMENT

(Appendix I).

Orders were received to move to SLIT TRENCHES from SILESIAN TRENCH at 1-55 p.m. on 3rd September. The leading platoon marched off within 10 minutes and reached MALTZ HORN TRENCHES 2-25 p.m. At 3 p.m. the Battalion was ordered to move to NEW TRENCHES South of ANGLE WOOD.