Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birmingham Newpaper Cutting

flip

Amongst letters and photos I have been given, I have found a cutting from a newspaper in Birmingham (sorry doesnt say which) for the above date. I have transcribed it below.

LATEST CASUALTIES

98 OFFICERS AND 826 RANK AND FILE

The casualty list issued last night contained the names of 92 officers (24 dead and 68 wounded or missing), naval officers 3 dead and ? wounded or missing, and 826 non-commissioned officers and men (306 dead and 520 wounded or missing).

The name of Captain J. A. Welby, Worc. Regt., appears among the wounded.

LOCAL ROLL OF HONOUR

The following additional particulars of local men killed have been supplied by their friends. As soon as the official notification has been issued we shall be glad to receive similar details for insertion in this column:-

Pte J Downing, Worcestershire Regt, was the eldest son of Mr & Mrs C Downing, of 2, back of 10, Granville Street (late of Princip Street).

Pte A L Rowe (21), signaller in the Royal Warwicks, who home was a 220 Cooksey Road, Small Heath, enlisted November 1914, and went to the front May, 1916. He was educated at Camp Hill Grammar School. Before enlisting was a clerk in Birmingham Corporation Health Department.

Private Thomas Bradshaw (38), Hampshire Regiment (missing since September 1916, now reported killed). In civilian life he was employed by the Hall Street Metal Company, Spring Road, Spring Hill. He leaves a widow.

Private F J McEwing. Northumberland Fusiliers, son of the late Sergeant Wheeler G McEwing, RHA and Mrs McEwing, Abbey Road.

Private McEwing, who was the service of the Birmingham Corporation, Public Lighting Department, enlisted in the Army in January 1915. He had been abroad for seventeen months, returning from his only period of leave about ten days before his reported death. He came of a fighting family, his father and grandfather having both seen active service, but he is the first member of the family to have been killed in action. His brother has been serving in the Navy for more than 22 years.

Seaman George Bourne, who belonged to a Wednesbury family, went down with his ship, which was mined in the North Sea on the 1st inst.

Private William Addison (24), son of Mr and Mrs Addison, 53 Whitehall Road, Greets Green, West Bromich, was well known in boxing circles as 'Young Misto'. He took part in many local contests and was regarded as a very promising boxer. He joined the R.F.A. in September last, but was transferred to the North Fusiliers, and was at the front in less than three weeks. An elder brother was killed in December 1915 and a half-brother is serving in the R.F.A.

Gunner Edgar Tomkins (24), R.F.A., only son of Mr and Mrs J G Tomkins, 9 Cordley Street, West Bromwich. He was a well known local organist.

Private C R Shaw (31), Royal West Kent Regiment, eldest son of Mr and Mrs Shaw, 24 St Marks Street. He joined the Army in March 1916, and went on active service this year. Before the war he worked at James Bros., jewellers, Frederick Street.

Private W North, 9 court, 4 house, Greenway Street. He was the youngest son of five brothers who joined the Army, three of whom are still serving, one having received his discharge. A brother-in-law died of wounds in December last.

Corporal Francis J Cooper (38) of the (missing) leaves a widow and four children...

Unfortunately, that is all there is but I hope it is of interest to some.

Flip

thanks for the information flip!, is there any chance of photocopy or scan of the article?

thanks enoch

I only received the documents yesterday but planning to get them all scanned as soon as. Will post as soon as I can.

Flip

• 9 years later...

Hi,

I've been looking for a 'William Addison' and I picked up the same name on the above casualty list.

The one that I've been researching, or trying to, has his name is included on a WW1 memorial in my local church in Hanford, Stoke-on-Trent and I've had difficulty finding out much more about the man. Sure there are a few William Addison's who died during WW1 but I cannoth find any with a connection of any kind to Hanford. I will though. One day.

Thank you Flip for your post of the newspaper cutting which has led me to finding information about Private W Addison that I'd been searching for.

Bayley, here is a pic of your hanford chap, all the best Geoff

Thank you Geoff, this post is wonderful

no problem any other searches let me know, Geoff

Thanks, only just seen this sorry. I'm currently looking at the following men and have just posted into Forums:

Private Edmund Selwood 7797 http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203693

Private Holder Beech 9455 http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=203693&hl=%2Bholder+%2Bbeech#entry2001345

Regards

Bayley

Bayley, sorry for slow reply these may be your men

H Beech

Thank you, that is certainly the Edmund Selwood that I'm looking for, so good to put a face to the name.

Re: H Beech - this is not the soldier I'm looking for, it may be Harry Beech 8741.

But once again thank you for looking, I realise that it would have taken you some time.

Regards

Bayley

Amongst letters and photos I have been given, I have found a cutting from a newspaper in Birmingham (sorry doesnt say which) for the above date. I have transcribed it below.

Flip

Looks to be the Birmingham Daily Mail, 10th March 1917.

Andy.