Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zonnebeke: German pillbox/dugout found

Patrick @ IFF

Belgian Ceefax-pages announced yesterday the discovery of a German pillbox/dugout dating 1916 at Zonnebeke.

It was found next to the old railway line Ieper-Roeselare.

The disused railway track is currently converted to lay a footpath linking Zonnebeke Passchendaele Memorial Museum and Tyne Cot Cemetery.

Guns, bottles, bayonets, helmets, uniforms and cutlery were found.

The dugout has 3 chambers, one of which seems to be a communication room.

This is the link for the text in Dutch:

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/...nker/index.html

Belgian Ceefax-pages announced yesterday the discovery of a German pillbox/dugout dating 1916 at Zonnebeke.

It was found next to the old railway line Ieper-Roeselare.

I take it it's the one that I've circled in red on this scan?

Dave.

post-357-1116196664.jpg

Patrick,

This is the best I can get through Babelfish - can you translate the missing bits?!

German bunker WOI exposed Archaeologists have exposed Saturday along the old track line Ieper-Roeselare in Zonnebeke an old German bunker from the first world war. Along the unused track line a wandelpad is at present moored between the war museum in Zonnebeke and the English cemetery Tynecot. The bunker from 1916 sits partly underground. The archaeologists found there guns, bottles, bayonets, helmets, uniforms and eetgerief. The bunker has three chambers among which an important communication mail. The bunker with loopgracht was part of a German verdedigingslinie.

Will it be open to the public?

Croonaert that is it ;) (get the picture)

The bunker is closed up again!

It was a pure emergency exclavation.

Patrick,

This is the best I can get through Babelfish - can you translate the missing bits?!

German bunker WOI exposed Archaeologists have exposed Saturday along the old track line Ieper-Roeselare in Zonnebeke an old German bunker from the first world war. Along the unused track line a wandelpad is at present moored between the war museum in Zonnebeke and the English cemetery Tynecot. The bunker from 1916 sits partly underground. The archaeologists found there guns, bottles, bayonets, helmets, uniforms and eetgerief. The bunker has three chambers among which an important communication mail. The bunker with loopgracht was part of a German verdedigingslinie.

Will it be open to the public?

:lol: What a funny Babelfish translation. Looks like "Flemglais" (= Flemish + English) :lol: Don't worry, I translated the Dutch text myself in my first post.

For those craving for pictures: visit this page: http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=856 .

Pictures courtesy of Kristof.