Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

quiz time

bernardmcilwaine

From what I can see, Bernard, the Artists` Rifles only saw action from Oct 14 to April 15 before becoming an Officer Training unit. What happened to this VAD unit then? Although I can see the VAD unit being attached to the AR, I find it hard to credit that they were actually part of the AR and presumably badged as such. The 104 sounds more like a VAD unit number surely? As in:-

Kent/104, Kent/106 & Kent/126 ran Strood VAD Hospital:

(3 September 1914 - December 1918) at

Claremont House, 2 Frindsbury Road.

Phil B

hiya phil,heres the basics on the 104th coy artist rifles,vad.

on 31-1-1911,the CO of the artists at the time,col,walter horsley proposed to raise a VAD unit to take care of the sick and wounded that would be left behind by the force when in action, for who no provision had been made and to pass them back to the base hospitals,the unit was over 40 strong and vol for service home or abroad,by 1915, the TA forces having been merged,so the original plans for the unit no longer existed,on the 28-4-15 the unit opened,equipt and staffed its own auxillary hospital,egremont,lyndhurst gardens,hampstead,it was a auxillary hospital to the hampstead military hospital,originally it had 23 beds rising to 25,by the end of the war it had 1000 patients pass through it,some of them veterans of the old artist rifles,it closed on 31-5-19,bernard

;) during ww1 which regt had a womens coy,and they were not an attatched coy,bernard,ime off for a pint while you solve that one,if you want proof i can supply a full list.

But it sounds like an attached VAD company to me, Bernard? :( Phil B

phil the idea was for them to care for the men in the artists,the personel were friends and relatives of serving artists,they were meant to go where the artists went,but the rest you know,they are included in the artist rifles roll of honour,bernard

Didn`t a certain Mr Chris Baker write a History of the London Regt? Any mention in there? Phil B

come on Bernard give a new poser, it's fun, Marina and i enjoyed the last one as did others i'm sure.

mandy