Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help With My Grandad's MIC Card

Guest trebor808

Guest trebor808

I downloaded my Granddad’s MIC card a while ago and been trying to make sense of it and have just discovered this marvellous forum. I know so little about my Granddad and would appreciate help in translating as much as possible from the card. Also, where do I go from here? I know my Granddad was sent to a Railway Convalescence Home in Devon after being injured in the war, and I was told that he refused his army pension so that he could return to his previous job on the railways when he came out. I was also told that he fought in Arras, France, as a Machine Gunner. This is only hearsay, but it would be nice to substantiate it. Many Thanks, in anticipation for anyone who can help. Robert. ps. I have attached my Granddad's MIC card to help.

post-7056-1115976663.jpg

Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your Grandads MIC shows that he was 84451, Pte. George Alston, Machine Gun Corp. He was awarded the Victory and British War medals. This implies that he didn't arrive in a theatre of war until after 1/1/1916.

The notation next to the medals references are the keys to the medal rolls proper and these rolls MAY hold further information. There are one or two MGC experts on the forum whoo I am sure would be more than happy to help. Georges regimental number may be significant when trying to track his movements.

I would post a query in the soldiers section appealing for help using your Grandads regimental details.

Good luck

Andy

Guest trebor808
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Your Grandads MIC shows that he was 84451, Pte. George Alston, Machine Gun Corp. He was awarded the Victory and British War medals. This implies that he didn't arrive in a theatre of war until after 1/1/1916.

The notation next to the medals references are the keys to the medal rolls proper and these rolls MAY hold further information. There are one or two MGC experts on the forum whoo I am sure would be more than happy to help. Georges regimental number may be significant when trying to track his movements.

I would post a query in the soldiers section appealing for help using your Grandads regimental details.

Good luck

Andy

Thank you for the help. I will post his details in the soldiers section. I couldn't make his number out properly as I wasn't sure whether the last number was a 1 or a 7, but you are obviously used to viewing them. Thanks, Robert

Thank you for the help. I will post his details in the soldiers section. I couldn't make his number out properly as I wasn't sure whether the last number was a 1 or a 7, but you are obviously used to viewing them. Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert

I couldn't make out the number either. at first I thought the last number was a 7 but the NA website lists it as 1 (but they could well be wrong and I still think it looks like a 7)

Andy

Guest trebor808
Hello Robert

I couldn't make out the number either. at first I thought the last number was a 7 but the NA website lists it as 1 (but they could well be wrong and I still think it looks like a 7)

Andy

Andy,

What is the NA website? Told you I was clueless!!!

Thanks, Robert

Andy,

What is the NA website? Told you I was clueless!!!

Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert

Its where you downloaded your Grandads Medal Index Card

Andy

Robert:

I personally love reading the MIC interpretations that are posted to the forum. Isn't it amazing how the details of a small white card bring a man to life once more, your hearsay becomes truth and your heart swells with pride.

Amanda

Guest trebor808
Robert:

I personally love reading the MIC interpretations that are posted to the forum. Isn't it amazing how the details of a small white card bring a man to life once more, your hearsay becomes truth  and your heart swells with pride.

Amanda

Amanda,

Yes it is, but I need to know so much more about my Granddad in the war and don't know what to do next really, which is why I am trying this forum.

Thanks,

Robert