Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cyclist Battalions

Clive Maier

I fear, like most of my questions, this is pretty basic. I have often been puzzled by Cyclist Battalions. I can't imagine a bike being much use in combat so what were their duties?

I have had a quick search of the forum and there is matter on cyclists but mostly it is about formation of units. I would like to know what they were expected to do. Did the chaps have to go in for fanatical bulling of the machines? I suppose they must have done. Sorry about the sheer naivety on show here.

At the time the first cycle units were formed the bicycle was a much faster mode of transport than marching - and cheaper than a horse. They units undertook advance scouting/recce duties, despatch riding (until the motor cycle became popular) and were able to move fast to take up advanced positions to await the bulk of the troops coming on foot.

Jean is our pal with info on this units.

The original TA cyclist battalions, and their duplicates, were mainly posted to parts of the UK where there were long sparsely populated stretches of coastline. Their superior mobility allowed all parts of the coast line to be visited as frequently with less men than conventional foot troops.

The war formed Army Cyclist Corps units were intended for recce. but static warfare meant that they performed messenger work or used their mobility to provide quick reinforcement to threatened sectors. At Divisional level it does seem that the Cycle Company was used as a convenient pool of spare men...

Many home based Yeomanry horsed cavalry units went over to cycles near the end of the war due to shortage/expense of hoses. This was not popular with the men.

Cyclist badge. The TF pre-war sported a cyclist's badge for qualified men: a bicycle wheel on sleeve. Never seen one in wear on an authentic 14-18 uniform, though. Men wore the bandolier equipment, rifle or carbine in/on a special carrier attached to frame, potentially lethal to the continuance of the family name if involved in head-on crash.......

Many Cyclists (Huntingdon, Essex, Kent and Highland to name but a few) were 'dismounted' and transferred in blocks to the Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) in 1917/18. Testament to this is the considerable number who received Territorial Force War Medals, qualifying as Cyclists but ending up on the MGC TFWM roll.

Thanks everybody. I have a much clearer idea now.