Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Yorkshire Trench-Looking at concrete

LizM

Ok worth a shot.. but what you have is priceless now...

Imagine what is still there after all this time.. undiscovered

John

I cannot be sure but I think it was only open for a year or so?  I seem to recall when we went back a year or so later (1998) it was closed.

The Bremen Redoubt was actually un-earthed as early as the mid-1980s, and remained open from that time onwards. Of course in those days there were very few visitors generally, anyway. I have some photos taken in and around it somewhere or other.

Paul you are correct, it was 1983 that Bremen was found, there seems to have been a few discovered around that time...Crest Farm Dugout in 1987, Goudberg in 1987, and Beecham Farm in 1990. In June 1987 the Belgian Service for Archaelogy found extensive works, the Zonnebeke Church dugout beneath Zonnebeke Church while looking for the Augustinian Abbey. Apparently Langemark also has something similar?

I have a German map somewhere showing the Bremen position,.. seem to remember it was called Brandenburg or something similar? I'll dig it out if anyone is interested. Peter.

In 2001 I was at Zonnebeke and the dug out was still there but one of the concrete ventilation shafts had collapsed into the dug out as the result of a partial cave in. There was a locked iron door over the entrance but you could look inside through a small crack between the door and the frame. You could also see a little of the inside from the hole caused by the collapse. I briefly flirted with the idea of crawling down the hole but good sense quickly won out.

Jon

I was locky enough to be taken into the Brickworks/Bremen Redoubt on my first visit to the Salient in May 1994. It was very impressive.

Regrettably, I cannot remember the name of the Belgian who guided us (we were a group from a Regular Army Field Ambulance). If the guide is a current Forum member, would be delighted to re-establish his acquaintance.

Well, must go. Meeting the coach at 0430 hours at Barnsley for an overnighter at Flanders Lodge.

Chris

:D

Back from Ypres, took group to Yorkshire Trench, they very much appreciated it. Met one of the lead Diggers on site (apologies, I didn't pick up on his name when we introduced ourselves (but, having just looked at The Diggers Web Site, I'm sure it must have been Patrick Van Wanzeele)) and he told me the number of remains found in the area is now 199.

Chris

I was lucky enough to visit Bremen redoubt a couple of times, latterly with a school group. That was in the days before I had to compile a Risk Assessment for every site visited-I suspect the one for Bremen would have been about 10 pages long!