Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Hamilton (174th Siege Battery RGA)

grahamcaine

Hi. I was wondering if any kind soul might help me to interpret my great-grandfathers MIC (attached). My grandfather cannot recall ever hearing about or seeing my great-grandfathers medal(s) which makes me curious as to whether he ever collected them or not. Any help with regards to his MIC would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Graham.

post-5222-1115811006.png

Graham.

Medal Card for:

GNR (Gunner) Robert Hamilton

Service # 95604

Royal Garrison Artillery

The "Code" (RGA 153/B) in the column marked ROLL is the reference code to the actual medal roll in which the medals are "Logged".

The MIC's are just an index system that refer to the rolls themselves which are held at the NA in Kew.

The entry in the PAGE column (5261) refers to the actual page within the stated roll, that the entry appears.

You can see by the entries that he was entitled to both the BWM (British War Medal) and the VM (Victory Medal).

More commonly known as a "WW1 Pair".

There is NO entry in the sections marked "Theatre of War First Served In" or "Date of Entry Therein".

Usually this means first entered a Theatre of War AFTER 1st Jan 1916.

It is common NOT to see an entry on the card for a date after this point.

He was not entitled to either of the Star medals, which would also substantiate the 1916 entry.

There would have been NO question of whether he collected the medals, as they were "Automatically" sent to either The Recipient or Next of Kin, using the supplied address.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Graham.

Medal Card for:

GNR (Gunner) Robert Hamilton

Service # 95604

Royal Garrison Artillery

The "Code" (RGA 153/B) in the column marked ROLL is the reference code to the actual medal roll in which the medals are "Logged".

The MIC's are just an index system that refer to the rolls themselves which are held at the NA in Kew.

The entry in the PAGE column (5261) refers to the actual page within the stated roll, that the entry appears.

You can see by the entries that he was entitled to both the BWM (British War Medal) and the VM (Victory Medal).

More commonly known as a "WW1 Pair".

There is NO entry in the sections marked "Theatre of War First Served In" or "Date of Entry Therein".

Usually this means first entered a Theatre of War AFTER 1st Jan 1916.

It is common NOT to see an entry on the card for a date after this point.

He was not entitled to either of the Star medals, which would also substantiate the 1916 entry.

There would have been NO question of whether he collected the medals, as they were "Automatically" sent to either The Recipient or Next of Kin, using the supplied address.

Hope this helps.

Mark.

Thanks a lot Mark!