Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Laertes'

Guest jleslie

Guest jleslie

For those interested in the SS 'Laertes', I have three snapshots of the ship's Captain (Glossop), Chief Officer and Chief Engineer. They're only small sepia shots but they scan and enlarge quite successfully and I would gladly email them to you. The photos were taken by my great uncle either en route to Egypt or Salonika c.1916. I have similar shots of Captain Ogden of the 'Memnon' as well as a small group photo of the Chief Officer, 3rd Mate, Captain and 2nd Mate of the 'Memnon'. Cheers,

Jennie Leslie

• 10 years later...

Dear Madam,

My Step Grandfather CR Woodcock - was Marconi Wireless Offficer on the SS Laertes lost off Prawle Point in 1917 ( torpedoed ). He never got over the loss of the wireless cadet working with him. I have his photo taken on survivors leave and would be grateful to receive your shots in return at your convenience. It would be nice to be able to build more of a picture of the Laertes, as I have not been able to find out too much so far.

Many thanks

Regards

Adrian Clement

Hello..

Both the ships mentioned sound like they are Blue Funnel (Alfred Holt) line ..is this correct?

• 2 years later...

Dear Jennie Leslie,

I am interested in finding out more about the crew of the Memnon (I am assuming this is the one sunk in 1917) - have you any further details of Captain Ogden & his officers?

Regards,

Mark