Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Non Military, but very useful for cross ref'

steve fuller

Ive been finding this site extremely useful for additional snippets of info on residents, traders, CO's of the local Military units, Territorial Force Companies and their Halls, etc, etc!!

Basically, the Uni have scanned Kellys and other directories onto their site and you dont even need to pay! What a bonus indeed!

http://www.historicaldirectories.org/

Worth a looksy as you see loads of names that you may have come across and can see sometimes where they lived / what they did leading up to the war.

Steve

I've been using this resource for a while now, as mentioned in a thread a while back.

It's invaluable for researching people and places, and particularly for my research into drill halls.

Problem is, it's so easy to get sidetracked!

What I have found, tho', is the need to search a number of ways to make sure you've covered everything, for example, I search for drill hall/territorial/battalion/armoury/etc. as each search will bring up something different.

Oh, and every now and then you'll come across a Friday scan, a little wobbly round the edges, guaranteed to hurt eyes and head!

But overall, a fantastic resource.

Thanks for bringing it to the fore.

Graeme

Useful stuff - thanks for alerting me to it.

Steve, what a great resource, thanks for the tipoff

Charles

Welcome Guys. Need to thank a Stonemason researcher in Florida that Ive been chatting to actually!!! Useful indeed!

Steve,

Wow! what a useful tool. As Graeme said, it's very easy to get sidetracked but so interesting.

Thank You for the tip.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

Steve,

I've just put the site into my fav's,

Thanks.

Mandy

Its not at all bad is it Paul & Mandy?!! :D

Steve

Its not at all bad is it

It's brilliant. At this rate, it'll take me an hour just to go through the titles I've bookmarked today.

But all these directories will prove an outstanding resource. The hamlet I live in has 9 dwellings, but I picked up 13 references to it in Kelly's. And these are not cheap books to buy out there.

Theank you, thank you, thank you.

Chris

:D:D:D

Steve

It's brilliant.  At this rate, it'll take me an hour just to go through the titles I've bookmarked today.

But all these directories will prove an outstanding resource.  The hamlet I live in has 9 dwellings, but I picked up 13 references to it in Kelly's.  And these are not cheap books to buy out there.

Theank you, thank you, thank you.

Chris

:D  :D

:lol: no probs chris!! enjoy!!

Back on it last night, checking a reference to an address I'd uncovered.

Two and a half hours later.......

Graeme

Yes, I've had a look at this too, and it is incredibly moreish. You start to look at one thing, and before long an hour has gone by!

Thanks for highlighting this one!

Alan

Oh isnt it just? Moreish is a great phrase too!

Im supposed to be job hunting & researching, but just cant resist having a little nose. And (as you say) two hours later ... :lol:

Ive come to the conclusion that we're all stark raving mad, but Id prefer that to being sane any day! Thank you & very well done to the Uni I must say. What a treasure.

Good tip, thanks. I live 50 miles from the nearest reasonable run of Kelly's for my area of interest, so if I want to check anything I have to add it to a list of queries for my next visit to the local studies unit in question. Then when I go several months later I sometimes can't remember why I wanted to find something out! And last time the hard copies of Kelly's had become so fragile that they had been put on microfilm, which is comparatively fiddly to use.

Thank you Steve, this is FANTASTIC.

Simon

Steve

Thanks for the tip.

I've already spent three hours on the site!!!

I hope that they will continue to scan more directories.

Dave

Steve,

Thanks, a useful site.

Andy

Steve,

Thought I'd have a quick look but now can't keep away from it. Almost as adictive as the Forum!

Thanks

Roy

:lol: before long Im gonna be apologising to wives etc for directing their partners away from them even more!! Really pleased everyones enjoying it & finding it as much use as i am!

I wandered if we should congratulate the Uni for their efforts, but the irony is that it would probably become a chargeable service if we did? Maybe best left unsaid or perhaps one person saying a collective thanks?

What do we all think?

• 2 weeks later...

Just added to favorites, thanks Steve.

cheers Aaron.

I don't know if you lot are familiar with the controls on this site.

If I do a search on 'drill hall', the site will list all the directories that have a reference to drill hall.

This can be given more focus by choosing the county and the timescale, say, Sussex in 1910-1920.

You then choose the directory and navigate by the 'next hit' or 'next image' buttons.

'Next hit' is the next page with your particular search on, 'next image' is the next page of the directory.

It's quite a discipline to stay focussed........

Happy trawling

Graeme