Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Right Man on MIC

Garraway Girl

Hello again, I'm fairly new to this incredible site, so forgive me if the answer to this is posted elsewhere (possibly right in front of my noggin).

I had a great-grandfather whom I know very little about. His name was Thomas McCaul. He was born in Northern Ireland but eventually settled in Whitehaven Cumberland circa 1907. My Uncle has told me that Thomas McCaul was a policeman in Ireland, but I have found absolutely no evidence to back up his claim. I do know for certain that Thomas served in World War 1 because his twin daughters died in infancy while he was away, and am wondering if my Uncle is mixed up with thomas being a policeman and soldier.

My question is, in checking the national archives MIC, I have come across three Thomas McCaul names -- two of them are Irish regiments (Irish Guards and Royal Irish Fusiliers - privates) the other is a Lance Corporal in the Royal Lancaster Regiment.

What do I need to do to know for certain which one he is?

Amanda

My question is, in checking the national archives MIC, I have come across three Thomas McCaul names -- two of them are Irish regiments (Irish Guards and Royal Irish Fusiliers - privates) the other is a Lance Corporal in the Royal Lancaster Regiment.

Amanda

This is little information to go on.

Ideally you need a service number, but any other piece of family info you can get hold of may help.

You have quite a task here, as the connection with the Irish Regt's is obviously a possibility, as is the Royal Lanc's (Whitehaven, Cumb' isn't too far away from Lancashire).

Do you know if Thomas survived the War?

ie, an entry in CWGC or SDGW may give some clues. SDGW especially as you can usually find out details like "Where Born" & "Where Enlisted".

Sorry not to be of any further assistance.

Mark.

Thank you so much Mark, :D

Thomas did survive the war. He died in Whitehaven Castle Hospital in 1972. My uncles tell me he was a strict disciplinarian, they even mentioned he was involved in the arrest of Kevin Barry --- but again, any evidence of such is lacking. I'm beginning to think it's more of a military dispostion he held.

Anyway, my next question: What does SWGC and SGDW mean?

Amanda

Amanda

This is little information to go on. 

Ideally you need a service number, but any other piece of family info you can get hold of may help.

You have quite a task here, as the connection with the Irish Regt's is obviously a possibility, as is the Royal Lanc's (Whitehaven, Cumb' isn't too far away from Lancashire).

Do you know if Thomas survived the War?

ie, an entry in CWGC or SDGW may give some clues.  SDGW especially as you can usually find out details like "Where Born" & "Where Enlisted".

Sorry not to be of any further assistance.

Mark.

I dont think you can move any further forward at the moment and need to talk to the older members of your family and find out what you can. Is there no-one around who can say "yes he was in...". (My grandad always used to say "joe was in the rifles..." - he was wrong like....)

Then have another look at it - i dont see how you can move any other forward just from the records at hand.

CWGC may be an option as the girlfriend has found 2 family members by looking for relevant names and addresses...

Is there no-one around who can say "yes he was in...". (My grandad always used to say "joe was in the rifles..." - he was wrong like....)

This is possible, I suppose. I'll need a couch, a pocket watch on a string, and a voice that says "You're getting sleepy.."

It's a wonder at times I don't pop a blood vessel when I'm asking my elders questions. But sometimes, out of the blue they drop a golden nugget in my lap.

I'll be in England in four weeks. I'll tie my Aunt up first :P , then I'll have words with my Uncle Joe who insists granda McCaul was a copper. The only person who has answers is my great uncle Dennis, who can hear but cannot speak - or write ---effects of a stroke.

Say your prayers for me! :lol:

CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commision).

Find their website here (search for WW1/WW2 "Casualties").

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

Gives casualty details such as:

Regt.

Date of Death.

Cemetery Buried in.

etc

SDGW (Soldiers Died in the Great War).

Slightly more detailed, including "Some" personal information.

enlistment area

where born

what regt & battalion

also sometimes minor detail of "How Died".

This is only available on CD, and is "Hugely Priced" (as far as I'm concerned anyway) at around GB£250. :(

Usually though, there's alays a willing forum pal who has the CD, and will "Look up" an entry for you if you ask nicely. :)

Hope you find a little more info, to enable you to persue your case a little further.

Mark.

Hello again, I'm fairly new to this incredible site, so forgive me if the answer to this is posted elsewhere (possibly right in front of my noggin).

I had a great-grandfather whom I know very little about. His name was Thomas McCaul. He was born in Northern Ireland but eventually settled in Whitehaven Cumberland circa 1907.  My Uncle has told me that Thomas McCaul was a policeman in Ireland, but I have found absolutely no evidence to back up his claim. I do know for certain that Thomas served in World War 1 because his twin daughters died in infancy while he was away, and am wondering if my Uncle is mixed up with thomas being a policeman and soldier.

Amanda

hello amanda,the thomas mccaul from the royal lancasters was discharged to the army reserve on 15-1-1919,rank l/cpl,14493,he landed in france on 4-9-1915,bernard

CWGC = Commonweath War Graves Commision:

http://www.cwgc.org/cwgcinternet/search.aspx

SDGW = Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Weighty volumes of endless (and poignant) lists of men, listed by Regiment/Corps who died in or just after the War.

It is also available on CDRom (for the Princely sum of about £300 :o )

Not many "lay-people" have one but to the researchers here it is invaluable. Some very kind (and rich) people who own one offer "lookups" to the Members here.

I can't find any T McCauls on the CWGC site, by the way. So no further forward on that front...

Steve.

Mark:

Snap!

Only you were more eloquent...

Steve.

hello amanda,the thomas mccaul from the royal lancasters was discharged to the army reserve on 15-1-1919,rank l/cpl,14493,he landed in france on 4-9-1915,bernard

Bernard:

Thank you very much for posting this for me.

Amanda

Of course we could try identifying his cap badge!

Want to post your avatar image a bit bigger, Amanda?

Steve.

Steve:

That handsome fella in the avatar is John Garraway, not Thomas McCaul. But for sure when I'm in Whitehaven, I'll be interrogating all family members. Chip off the old block I am :rolleyes:

amanda you said thomas was a strict disiplinarian,that smells of guards to me,most of the coppers from manchester police were guardsmen before and during the war,bernard,i checked the irish guards diaries and thomas mccaul was not killed

Doh!

Just realised myself. The Whitehaven reference suckered me... Was going to delete the stupid post in shame!

I've been rumbled...

Next silly question. Do you have any pictures of Thomas?

Steve.

Was going to delete the stupid post in shame!

Don't even go there. You already helped me so much in indentifying John's MIC. You're my hero!

I don't have a photo as of yet, of Thomas. My only memory of him is as an old man, bound to a wheelchair in the months before he died. Have researched so many branches of my family tree, the McCauls remain elusive. He had one daughter and four sons. When his daughter married in 1927, she kept it a secret from him. He was feared, yet I know he was loved. On his deathbed, he apologised for the way he had treated my Granda (his son in law) for marrying his daughter.

I believe he was a man who suffered much hardship and loss, I aim to make his life a priority in my research.

Thanks Steve, as soon as I get a photo, I'll post

amanda you said thomas was a strict disiplinarian,that smells of guards to me,

Well that's a lead! Maybe I'll check that one out first. Thank you. You should be in forensics!

Amanda :D

Just as an aside. That's the Border Regiment uniform that your Great Grandfather is wearing judging by the cap badge. The 5th Battalion had a slightly different cap badge from the rest of the Regiment. And it looks nothing like the Labour Corps one.

Begging m'lords forgiveness,

Steve.

post-6536-1115674834.jpg