Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Watkins MIC

Donald

Hi

Would any knowledgable soul be able to help decipher my great, grandfather's medal card please? It's attached as a pdf file. He is the John Watkins, bottom left, private in the Middlesex Regiment.

I've worked out that he has the Victory Medal, British medal and 14-15 Star but have no idea what the info underneath this means (if anything). Also, does the 'Dis' in the remarks section indicate 'Discharged'?

Thanks for your help

Donald

Attachment didn't work as pdf file was too big. I'll scan the relevant section tonight and send again.

Thanks

Donald

Doanld,

Use the select tool on the PDF reader to select the area of the page. Copy to clipboard and paste into Paint or similar. Save as a JPEG and post that file. If in Paint you can use the Stretch command from the image menu to reduce the size to say 75% to make it more manageable.

Steve.

Thanks for the help. Greatly appreciated. I'm really not a fan of pdf.

Anyway, hopefully the pic is now attached.

Thanks again

Donald

post-3941-1115644757.jpg

"Dis" does mean discharged.

It looks like he was discharged with a Silver Wound Badge (wounded, ill, gassed, etc. and unfit for further duty)

Further details of the SWB are on the Main Site (Grandad's War) or on the FAQ at the NA site.

The SWB reference is the "SWB List E/1397."

From the words "Badge 234798 B????? Police, Ret. ?? by ??? 12/8/19" it look like the badge (number 234798) may have been handed into the Police.

There is a further reference which may be the reissue of the badge. The SWB Rolls at Kew may have more information.

The VM/BWM & 1914-15 Star Medal rolls should tell you what battalion he was in which you will need to know to locate him more specifically.

Steve.

Thanks Steve. that's very helpful and ties in with my Gran's belief that he was injured late in the war. Apparently the family thought he had died in action but then a relation spotted him in Roehampton Hospital.

Donald