Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Northumberland Fusiliers

garyem1

Hi to all,

I have searched the internet these last two weeks looking for info on, The 1st Bn, The Northumberland Fusiliers. Who were with the 9th Brigade, 3rd Div. from Aug to Nov 1914. I cannot find any info on them. The Long, Long Trail lists them as being there but no mention other than that, unless I am missing something. Does anyone have some information on them or a web site?

Garyem1 :blink:

Thanks Geoff, look forward to it.

and Thanks Heritage, I will hunt through this site today. :)

garyem1

British Battalions 1914 by Ray Westlake has quite a good section on the 1st Northumberlands from August to December 1914.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?

Bob.

Hi Bob,

I have read everything I can find on the internet for the dates, Aug/Nov 1914. I cannot find a mention of any actions that they took part in, yet they were in the thick of it. I am going to buy a book, `1st Ypres`

that should give me lots of answers for the November period, the soldier I am researching had Sixteen years service before he died on 8th Nov 1914 so I would like to go back as far as I can on him for WW1. Thanks for the info, I will look up the book :)

garyem1

They took part in the battle of Mons and the rearguard actions. On 23rd/24th August ,

they are mentioned along with the Royal Scots Fus. as meeting the attack of the German 6th Div. just west of Mons at Mariette.In his book Mons Retreat to Victory, John Terraine mentions an incident involving Belgian Schoolchildren (possibly) being used as cover for the Germans outflanking movement at this part of the canal. He also briefly mentions them covering the attempt, by the RE to blow the bridge at Mariette

I've just noticed that www.battlefrontbooks.com is advertising a book "History of the 1st and 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers 1914-1918" by Sandilands.

(p.s I have no connection to the above company, except as a customer! :P )

Thanks Hussars,

I have read all I can find on Mons, I have not seen anything on the mentions with the, Royal Scots Fus. I will check out , Mons Retreat to Victory, Thank you.

garyem1

Just spotted the last bit of your message, Battlefrontbooks. Will go there in the morning. Thanks ;)

1st Northumberland Fusiliers embarked for France on 13th August arriving at Harve the next day. By the night of 22/23rd August they were at Mons with B and C Companies defending the bridge at Mariette. Following the retreat they fought at Le Cateau on 26th August, being located immediately south of Inchy. As the retreat continued the battalion eventually arrived at Villemareuil, being tasked with outpost duty near Le Moulin Farm on 4th September. On this day the companies were re-titled W, X, Y, & Z.

The 1st Bn fought at the Marne and the Aisne before move north to the area of Bethune by way of Abbeville where they had rested and reoganised. From 12/29th October the battalion partipated in the actions fought at Bout Deville, Pont du Hem, Herlies, and Neuve Chapelle. On 30th October they move to Estaires where they had been promised ten days rest, but due to the German offensive at Messines they were moved immediately to Kemmel.

During November they participated in the actions at Messines, Armentieres, Ypres, and Nonnebosschen.

That is a very potted account. If you want details of anything in particular let me know. Most of the above information I took from the history "The Fifth in the Great War" (1st/2nd Battalions Northumberland Fusiliers). This history has now been reprinted by Naval and Military press, unfortunately in softback but still worth getting if your interested as the first 60-70 pages covers the 1st Bn during 1914.

Geoff

Geoff,

Thank you very much for this information, it will give me something to work on. I will also buy a copy of the book you mentioned.

Thank you to others who have replied, you have all been a great help. :D

garyem1

• 3 weeks later...

I am preparing a book for publication on the 1st batt NF Aug - Dec 1914 based on the journal of Captain Beauchamp Tudor St John and have detailed information on each day as well as names, rank and number for the casualties for 1914. :)

Prior to Digital cameras allowed at the PRO/NA I wrote out a summary of the 1/NF from the battalion War Diary up to 14 Sept 1914 as I was interested in a fatality (L/Cpl Thomas Henry Anderson) who was kia that day.

Quite happy to write this up and post here if it would be of interest.

Hi Bayne,

When do you intend to publish the book.

Signals,

I would like to read what you have.

garyem1

Gary

Summary notes taken from War Diary - 1/Northumberland Fusiliers upto and including 14 Sept 1914. I would point out that this War Diary was the first I ever looked at and my notes are missing some essentials, like some of the locations and map references. The entry for 14 Sept I wrote out as a quote. All the other entries I summarised but was obviously confident at the time it was an accurate precis.

4 Aug 14 - Bttn at Cambridge Barracks, Portsmouth

13 Aug 14 - Bttn embarked on SS Norman at Southampton and having been at sea 1 hr were told tehir destination was the northern French port of Havre. Wagons, horses and kit were to follow on SS Italian Prince.

14 Aug 14 - SS Norman tied up at 3am but disembarkation was not completed until 5pm. Marched 5 1/2 miles to rest camp NNE of Havre. On way 82 men fell out due to heat exhaustion.

16 Aug 14 - Bttn marched to Busigny where they were greeted enthusiastically by the locals, particularly the Town's women. They then marched onto Noyelles.

23 Aug 14 - Bttn involved in the heavy fighting at Mons.

24 Aug 14 - Took part in general retreat, withdrawing through Frameries.

Early Sept 14 - Continued withdrawal with Germans close to their heels.

6 Sept 14 - Received orders to turn about and commence offensive.

8 Sept 14 - Bttn captured first prisoners.

9 Sept 14 - Just after 4:30am Bttn crossed Marne as part of advance guard. Involved in fighting in wood nr Ventrelett.

10 Sept 14 - Continued advance and met German rear guard of snipers at wood nr Veuilly. Succeeded in clearing wood of enemy and then crossed stream waist deep.

13 Sept 14 - Held up at River Aisne nr Braine by enemy fire from northern bank. Eventually crossing the Aisne about midnight in single fire (I THINK LYN MACDONALD GIVES AN ACCOUNT OF THIS IN "1914").

14 Sept 14 - "At 5am Bttn marched out to support 4 Royal Fusiliers who were in an outpost position close to enemy on the road to Rougemaison Farm, north of Vailly. Position taken up to left of RF. Enemy encountered in some force and gun fire to which artillery could not reply ... (could not decipher word) ... C Coy on right took up advanced position from which they returned with some loss. A & B Coys were engaged in wood fighting but had to retire from advanced position to take up general line taken up by Brigade in a sunken road running East to West. Heavy casualties. At midnight enemy made half-hearted attack but withdrew after a few minutes firing".

Hope it helps!

Signals,

Thank you very much, yes it does help.

garyem1

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

searching for any info on my great grand uncle CHARLES LAZENBY with teh 2nd Northumberland Fusiliers, was in India at start of war then sent to France. Captured May 8 (also wounded). Then I have nothing. According to a nice gentleman on this forum, he says that 2nd Div. served as part of 28th at 2nd battle of Ypres, Nov 1915 moved to Salonika and returned to France June 1918 and joined 50th Northumberland Div.

How do I Find out where my uncle was held? What his injuries etc. and if he rejoined his unit?

I am located in Canada, so Kew is out of the question for me. Where do I go from here?

Thanks so very much to you all.

Nicky