Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Shanakiel Hospital, Cork

midletonman2001

Does anyone have any information about Shanakiel Hospital in Sunday's Well, Cork?

I was told recently that my Grandfather was sent there upon his release from Geissen.

I would like to follow this lead up but I haven’t a clue how to proceed.

Any suggestions please?

Many Thanks

• 6 months later...

Hi,

Have just seen your post and i am wondering have you called to the hospital to check on any files since you posted your request.

If you cant call there yourself, if you post your grandfathers name i will call to the hospital as i am about five minutes from it.

Regards,

Sean.

Hi,

Have just seen your post and i am wondering have you called to the hospital to check on any files since you posted your request.

If you cant call there yourself, if you post your grandfathers name i will call to the hospital as i am about five minutes from it.

Regards,

Sean.

Hello Sean

Thanks form your reply. I had not considered calling to the hospital - I assumed any records would have been taken away when it 'changed hands'. Do you think they would have records for then?

Hi again.

Shanakiel was opened around 1918, i am not sure if they would hold the records going back that far, but they may be on file in the city.

I will call to the hospital tomorrow to try and get a bit more information, in the mean time if you could post the year that your grandfather was there, that would narrow it down.

regards,

Sean.

PS. Since posting this yesterday I hve contacted the hospital and you are right their records dont go back that far.

Sean,

Edited by Sean.

Thanks for your efforts Sean

He must have been there any time from when it opened to the summer of the following year.

I have not been able to determine exactly when he travelled home but he was married in Midleton in September of 1919.

I thought the records would be held in The National Archives in Kew in London but I could find no mention of them on the web site.

I did enquiry about the records in Cork Library's Local Studies Department but they had no knowledge sadly.

Edited by midletonman