Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MIC for Buffs Reservist who Migrated to Australia

Guest Kent Wilson

Guest Kent Wilson

Hi,

I am a new member of the Forum, having stumbled across it in researching my grandfather. What a discovery!

I hope that someone among the many experts who are Forum members can tell me what is meant by the following character/number sets that appear in the Comments section of the MIC of "George WILSON, East Kent Regt, Pte, L/7109"

Dis 392 XVI 4-1-16

Retn? (1743. H.R.) C.R.V.216 d/20-2-23 7794/Adl

"Retn" might be "Ref", but I'm pretty sure the rest is an accurate transcription. (I'd attach an image of the card, but for some reason I can't manage to do that.)

I know that "Dis" means discharded, and "4-1-16" is the date of discharge, as confirmed by other records, but the rest is a complete mystery to me.

By way of background, in case that helps - in 1905, after two years as a Private in the 2nd Bn, East Kent Regt (The Buffs), George Wilson was transferred to the Army Reserve, with his consent, before his service period was up. He migrated to Australia in about 1909 and was living there when the Reserve was mobilised in August 1914. He reported for duty to the AIF, to which he was attached, as an "Imperial Reservist of the Buffs", from 17 Oct 1914.

I don't know the details of how and when he got from Australia to Europe, but the MIC shows he arrived in France on 1 Jun 1915, entitling him to the 1914-15 Star. On 4 Jan 1916 at Dover, Kent he was discharged as medically unfit, and in February 1916 was put aboard a ship heading for Australia - his ticket listed him as "Reservist G Wilson". After his arrival in Australia, AIF records show his AIF service/attachment to have ended on 4 Apr 1916. He married in the same month. He died 4 May 1929, aged 44, from the kidney condition he developed at The Front.

One other question: can anyone tell me why the "L/" prefix appears as part of his regimental number on the MIC? It doesn't appear in his earlier military records in either Britain or Australia.

If anyone can help, I'd be much obliged.

Kent

Hi Kent

Retd (1743 KR) CRV 216 d/20/2/23 7784/Adt means

Medals returned under paragraph 1743 of Kings Regulations 1912, which relates to the disposal of unclaimed medals.

CRV is the Certified Receipt Voucher and number, dated 20/2/23 #7794 amendment.

Hope this helps

Andy

Hello Kent,

The L prefix is for Home Counties regiments like the East or West Kents. I can't remember exactly which date these were instituted, but I'm sure other informed members will be able to help.

You might try searching for "prefix" or regimental number as I know there are some threads around on that subject.

I have a Queen's South Africa medal to a 2nd Royal West Kent soldier whose regimental number was amended similarly with an L prefix by the time he served in the 1st battalion at Mons 1914.

Regards,

Matthew

Not much help, but here is his entry in the 1914/15 star roll. His entry date indicates 6th Bn.

The L prefix means he was a regular or regular reservist.

Mick

post-174-1115404792.jpg