Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Morden Grange Hospital

Roy Evans

Despite the help of several PALS I'm still unable to trace the English hospital in which one of 'my' men died in August 1917. The details that I have (from the Death Certificate) are;

Morden Grange Hospital, Morden,

Registration District; Croydon,

Sub-district; Mitcham,

County of Surrey

Can anyone shed any light on the exact location?

Roy

Roy,

I live near Morden and know something of the local history. However, Morden Grange is not a name that immediately rings any bells with me. Presumably it was a large house that was used as a temporary hospital. If no one else replies with an answer, I'll do some digging at the library when I'm next there.

Regards

Gavin

Gavin,

Many thanks, I would appreciate that. Hopefully someone else will save you the trouble.

Roy

Roy

'The Grange', is a Grade II listed building in Central Road, Morden,

Dave

Thanks Dave,

I have a problem with this info.!

I live not only north of Watford Gap, but north of Birmingham, .... where is Morden ??? :unsure:

Regards

Roy

Thanks Dave,

I have a problem with this info.!

I live not only north of Watford Gap, but north of Birmingham, .... where is Morden ???  :unsure:

Regards

Roy

Hi Roy,

Morden is right at the southern end of London. If you have any access to a London Underground map, it has a tube station - the most southerly station on the Northern Line (black line).

regards

doogal

Roy

'The Grange', is a Grade II listed building in Central Road, Morden,

Dave

I've realised which house this is now. It stands at the end of Central Rd, facing a roundabout at the junction with Morden Hall Road. It's used as offices. If you need a digital photo, let me know.

Morden is in Surrey, but is part of Greater London. It's near Wimbledon.

Regards

Gavin

...its kind of as Stourbridge is to Wolverhampton....

The last stop before the trees start.

Wots a tree? :P

I've realised which house this is now. It stands at the end of Central Rd, facing a roundabout at the junction with Morden Hall Road. It's used as offices. If you need a digital photo, let me know.

Gavin,

I'd very much like a 'photo if it's not too much trouble.

During my research into one of the men on a local memorial, I made contact with the guy's niece who only knew that her uncle had been wounded in France and died in a UK hospital.

I have sorted out his service and where he was wounded as well as that the died in Morden Grange. I will be sending his niece this info soon and a 'photo would be the icing on the cake.

Roy

Roy

General location map attached.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the map. I had previously found a Morden Grange at Bletchworth, between Dorking and Reigate, but Ian W had already told me that it was not the one I was after.

Gavin,

The soldier is buried in what was then known as Wolverhampton Borough Cemetary.

This is his story (the other men mentioned are also on the memorial)

Harold Falconbridge

Born to Fredrick and Florence Falconbridge at Standish near Wigan on 19th September 1896, Harold was to die the day after Raymond Bishop. Harold and his family had moved to Wolverhampton around 1902 and he became a pupil at Bingley Street School. At the time that he volunteered as Private 24746 in the 2nd Battalion of The South Wales Borderers, they were living at 35 Cardiff Street, Wolverhampton. After first seeing service at Gallipoli in 1915, arriving there on the same day as Albert Monington and Percy Morgan, Harold moved, via Egypt, to France and Belgium, where he was badly wounded in the chest by shrapnel, probably during fighting on 16th August 1917 near Boezinghe, just west of Ypres in Belgium. He was repatriated, only to die of his wounds at Morden Grange Hospital, Surrey on 28th August 1917 aged just 20 years old. Harold is buried in Jeffcock Road Cemetery, Wolverhampton where his father was employed as Sexton Grave Digger & Gardener and may well have dug his own son’s grave. He was to bury his wife Florence in the same grave some 21 years later. Harold’s younger brother Gilbert survived the war having served in the Royal Army Service Corps and is also given a place on the church memorial.

Thanks again

Roy

Roy - Glad that you have managed to find the building. Please post the picture here when you have it.

No doubt it will be the first time that anyone in the family has seen the place where this man died. Good work.

Very sincere thanks to all involved , please be assured that through your efforts Harold Falconbridge's elderly nephew and niece will receive the info. later this week.

Roy

Hi There, :)

Brilliant research !!

I'm really interested in this type of reseach ! I have found it facinating !!!!

Cheers

Tim.

Thanks Tim,

With so much stuff being on line these days it's really not that difficult, especially with the help of Chris's GWDF and the fantastic people on it.

Roy

A worthy comment, Roy, but the very fact that it took the Pals to uncover it shows the importance of the research we do.

It's not 'all out there', as some people think. There's more not there, and it's reassuring that people care and share.

Pleased it was uncovered for you

Graeme

• 4 years later...

Although this thread is five years old, I recently came across this image and thought I'd post it:

post-2939-1271015208.jpg

In 1915 The Grange was opened by its founder and matron, Mrs Lewin, as a military hospital with 34 beds.

From "Merton & Morden - A Pictorial History", by Judith Goodman - Phillimore & Co Ltd 1995.

Gavin

Gavin,

You've got me chocking on me evening cocoa when I read this thread and saw these pics. I never knew the history of these buildings and I was in and out of em' near enough every day back in the late 80's. Thanks for posting. By the way wasn't there a pub nearby called The Grange or is that my mis-spent youth?

Stuart

You've got me chocking on me evening cocoa when I read this thread and saw these pics. I never knew the history of these buildings and I was in and out of em' near enough every day back in the late 80's. Thanks for posting. By the way wasn't there a pub nearby called The Grange or is that my mis-spent youth?

Hello Stuart,

Glad it's of interest! Now I'm usually pretty good with pubs (!), but the Grange doesn't ring any immediate bells with me. There is/was the Morden Tavern in Central Road, and The Grove by South Wimbledon Tube Station, but no Grange that I can remember...

Regards

Gavin

Gavin

I've got The Grange mixed up with The George and as you know you should never mix your drinks or... pubs! Or was it the St Helier Arms? I'll leave it at that :ph34r:

Thanks again

Stuart

What a very small world it is - a friend of mine is starting a new job today, based at the Grange! Morden Hall, about 1/4 mile away was also used as a hospital during the Great War.

I'm in Merton Abbey, Gavin - if you fancy a beer in one of the local pubs that isn't called The Grange and a chat about local Great War history, drop me a PM.

Mick

Gosh, five years since I started this thread! Don't time fly!

Thanks GavinH for the latest pic and thanks to Ianw for alerting me to it.

Roy