Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

'Social disease'

Marco

I'm currently looking at the file of a Canadian soldier and have some questions.

On 3-12-1914 he was deducted 15 days pay and admitted to a hospital. Considering what comes next I wonder if this was punishment for contracting a ‘social disease’? Was such an event the only event for which pay was deducted?

On 21-8-1915 his file simply says ‘gonorrhea’. On 7-11-1915 he returns to his unit.

Did the mentioned disease take almost a year to heal (3-12-14 – 7-11-1915) in those times or could he have been a hard-learner and contracted something twice?

TIA!

Regards,

Marco

Marco

Not that I am an expert on sexually transmitted diseases, you understand.....

But, presumably, with no anti-biotics recovery was not a quick process. A year seems a long time, though.

John

I know in the Navy, Submarine Pay and other benefits could be stopped immediately if a men went sick with VD; unless the man could prove he was not responsible for having it!

(It could also be stopped for other reasons, but generally a degree of leniency was shown in these cases.)

Richard

unless the man could prove he was not responsible for having it!

I would just lurve to hear that argument.

"Who, Sir? Me, Sir? No, Sir. Never had sex, Sir. Dunno what happened, Sir. One minute it was fine and the next....."

John

Exactly my take on the matter as well :D

And a year seems a long time to me as well. Was pay stopped during the period of treatment (e.g. 15 days) or was this just a standard time as punishment, I wonder.

I think this chap was a re-offender was would like to make sure. He also got FP#2 for not following instructions from a NCO. Quiet a character!

Regards,

Marco

I would just lurve to hear that argument.

"Who, Sir? Me, Sir? No, Sir. Never had sex, Sir. Dunno what happened, Sir. One minute it was fine and the next....."

John

Not my fault. I must 'ave picked it up from the toilet seat.

Robbie :P

Untreated, the symptoms of gonorrheoa last around 8 weeks. A small proportion of men (about 5%) do not get symptoms at all. Occasionally, the infection will spread to the prostate and other organs. Most likely this man had two separate infections.

Robert

Marco

But, presumably, with no anti-biotics recovery was not a quick process. A year seems a long time, though.

John

I too would like to point out I am also no expert in this field........however I think John's comments re a slow recovery process has merit................I was looking at the records of an Australian casualty & he was hospitalised for a similar length of time for the same infliction……..I also assume that the longer the infection is left untreated the longer the remedial treatment will take………..it is therefore possible the length of the hospitalisation is directly related to how long after the infection that treatment was sought

I too would like to point out I am also no expert in this field........however I think John's comments re a slow recovery process has merit................I was looking at the records of an Australian casualty & he was hospitalised for a similar length of time for the same infliction……..I also assume that the longer the infection is left untreated the longer the remedial treatment will take………..it is therefore possible the length of the hospitalisation is directly related to how long after the infection that treatment was sought

Ah, this may be the case, but it's a well known fact that AUstralians take longer than most to recover from illness. It's genetic.

Robbie :huh:

The first instance may not have been the aforesaid. He may have damaged army property (ie himself) by recklessness.

Roop

I know in the Navy, Submarine Pay and other benefits could be stopped immediately if a men went sick with VD; unless the man could prove he was not responsible for having it!

Pardon the pun but ,I thought that the submariners would be used to going down?

Pardon the pun but ,I thought that the submariners would be used to going down?

:lol: yeah :lol:

Boh! But they kept that as a secret amongst themselves.

I don't detect a great deal of sympathy for the poor man's predicament here.

All I can say is that he does appear to have used his leisure time rather actively.

I would venture a guess that the "social disease" he was first afflicted with was syphillus and the second was gonorrhea. (Clap-clap)

I have some papers for a trooper in the Dragoon Guards who was stationed in India and he was hospitalized several times for tx of syphillus. At that time, the treatment was doses of a heavy metal.

This gent was given a Long Service and Good Conduct Medal for 20 years of duty, so apparently in Victorian times, getting a "dose" was not considered a punishable offense. "Boys will be boys."

My medical knowledge does not extend as far back as the preferred treatment for clap during WWI, but apparently one or the other of the two afflictions was frowned upon by the powers of command.

I recall my enlisted time in the Marine Corps in the '50's when, Cinderella liberty or not, we had cases of the clap in my detachment when our aircraft carrier was dry docked in Yokosuka, Japan.

Our Captain of Marines did not take kindly to this and for good reason as free prophylatics were available from the Corpmen when leaving the ship on liberty. Penicillin was available upon return for those who claimed "exposure."

Officers, of course, were never afflicted with this disease. They were diagnosed as having "non-specific urethuritis." Having the clap was professional suicide for the commissioned gents.

DrB

B)

Have we finally found a subject on the forum which has no experts? :D

Nigel

I have some papers for a trooper in the Dragoon Guards who was stationed in India and he was hospitalized several times for tx of syphillus. At that time, the treatment was doses of a heavy metal.

Black Sabbath or Iron Maiden?

True, but I wonder whether we might have a few VD "re-enactors" in our midst?

Ah, this may be the case, but it's a well known fact that AUstralians take longer than most to recover from illness. It's genetic.

Robbie  :huh:

Please explain????

If it's genetic, then it must come from the English, Robbie! :rolleyes::blink:

Punishment for VD, these blokes couldn't win a trick. When they finally get to have a good time, they end up with the clap and punished for it!!

Cheers

Kim

Please explain????

If it's genetic, then it must come from the English, Robbie!  :rolleyes:  :blink:

Indeed, Kim that IS the logical reason, however, I did not wish to offend our dear old ancestors. RObbie :lol:

I'm not sure what the heavy metal treatment for gonorrhoea was at the start of the 20th century but mercury-based ointments had been used to treat such ailments. In 1907, Paul Ehrlich developed an effective treatment for syphilis known as Salvarsan. which was an arsenical compound.

KF Kelly

Robbie, not looking to offend. I do apologise if I did. It's an Aussie thing I suppose. My anscestors where actually, Scottish, Cornish and Finnish. I suppose that's where my fascination with the bagpipes comes from, could it also be genetic?

Some of the treatments they used back then, would give the Medicines approval people the heebie jeebies today, arsinic, lead, mercury. VD was fairly common amongst the Aussies troops to a degree and I remember reading a humourous account of VD inspection, but can't remember where.

Cheers

Kim

I have seen reference to the Wasserman Test for syphilis, with subjects testing both positive and negative, in relation to the Navy during the period: i.e., if they responded well to it they could return to submarines 12 months later. I am unsure as to what this test comprised, but I doubt it was pleasant.

Robbie, not looking to offend. I do apologise if  I did. It's an Aussie thing I suppose.  My anscestors where actually, Scottish, Cornish and Finnish. I suppose that's where my fascination with the bagpipes comes from, could it also be genetic?

Some of the treatments they used back then, would give the Medicines approval people the heebie jeebies today, arsinic, lead, mercury. VD was fairly common amongst the Aussies troops to a degree and I remember reading a humourous account of VD inspection, but can't remember where.

Cheers

Kim

I was just having a little joke at the expense of our dear ancestors.

Robbie :lol: