Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

KRRC Action

Michael

I wonder if anyone can help. I've been researching those who served from my village. While reading the local newspaper (East Kent Gazette) in December 1914 I came across a description of a KRRC action. There is no reference to date or location but the salient poionts of the article are as follows:

A+B Companies advanced and the right of the line was obliterated.

The remains of four sections of A Company joined to form one Company.

The Germans were 200 feet in front of them

All officers were lost

They took their position at 1:30pm and re-inforcements arrived at 5pm when there were only 8 left

An officer who came up from reserve was called Prince Maurice and he "went over" shortly afterwards

I know this was typical of many actions fought but if this rings any bells I'd be greatful for info. I've checked this site to see what Battalions of the KRRC were in action before Dec 1914 and haven't been able to pinpoint any particular one. I'll try and check the medal rolls of the individual when I next go to the PRO

If anyone is interested I can send them a jpg of the newspaper cutting

Here's hoping

Michael Mills

Michael,

Unfortunately I can't help you very much, but might be able to give a lead with regard to the officer called Prince Maurice.

Prince Maurice Victor Donald Battenberg KCVO, Lt, KRRC, died 27th October 1914. Grandson of Queen Victoria. There are full details on the CWGC site. Unfortunately it doesn't show which battalion of the KRRC.

There should be any number of accounts of Maurice's death which may be able to shed some light on the action your interested in.

Regards,

Jim

Battenburg is buried in Ypres Town Cmemtery, just round the corner from the main CWGC plot.

I am researching a soldier who was reported in the local press to have been killed the day after Battenburg (i.e. 28/10/14), but there is no official reference to him - no CWGC, no Soldiers died, not in Great War death Registers, no burnt or unburnt records - not yet checked medal card.

So if anyone out there can fill in the details of this period, I too would be very happy.

And yes please Michael.

richard.tawnies@bigfoot.com

Richard Howells

Prince Maurice of Battenberg was killed near Zandvoorde on 27/10/14 not far from where Lord Worsley fell.

The prince's sword was presented to the old Cloth Hall museum by his mother Princess Beatrice not sure if it is still on display in the new museum.

Unfortunately no info on which battalion of the KRRC.

I don't think there are any swords in the new museum, that's not really what they are about. Graham Parker told me they turned down Field Marshal Lord Plumer's sword.

Thanks everyone for their clues, you've given me something to get my teeth into.

You might be interested that the correspondant stated "We wanted more reinforcements, so Prince Maurice brought them up. He was only a few yards from me when he went over. Prince Maurice was a brave officer; he seemed to have no fear."

Your help is much appreciated

Michael

Sound more likely to be the 1st Bn KRRC and possibly the action on 26/27 October, 1914 around Polygon Wood.

Taken from Ray Westlake's excellent series of reference books 'British Battalions' the following from 'France and Belgium 1914'

"OCTOBER - To Polygon Wood during during the afternoon (25th). Advanced early morning (26th) - "D" Company followed by "C" and with "A" and "B" in support......... The attack was held up, the Battalion holding its positions until relieved by 1st Irish Guards about 5am (27th)......... Withdrew to a farm in valley south of Zonnebeke. Advanced again about 9am - "A" Company followed by "B" Company. Lieutenant-Colonel Northey records that the Battalion having crossed the Paschendale-Becelaere road came under terrific shell and rifle fire. Casualties - Captain W. Wells (3rd Buffs attached), Lieutenant H.H. Prince Maurice VD of Battenburg, and 24 other ranks killed, Second-Lieutenants T.N. Horne, H. Sweeting and 130 other ranks wounded, 19 missing . Dug-in about 800 yards east of the road and held positions under heavy shell fire......."

Alan Seymour

I've noticed that Prince Maurice's service records and details of his funeral are in WO339 at the PRO. I'll have a look at them during my next visit (along with the other 100's of other things I need to look up !)

It sounds as though it was a pretty frightening place to be in October 1914.

Michael

My mistake, the funeral details are for another Battenburg

Prince Maurice of Battenberg was killed near Zandvoorde on 27/10/14 not far from where Lord Worsley fell.

The prince's sword was presented to the old Cloth Hall museum by his mother Princess Beatrice not sure if it is still on display in the new museum.

Unfortunately no info on which battalion of the KRRC.

Hello,

That's a mistake: Prince Battenberg was killed near Broodseinde, on the road to Moorslede (there is a wooden cross now where he fell).

Zandvoorde is much further to the south.

Greetings,

Jan

Lt his Highness Prince Maurice of Battenberg KCVO was born at Balmoral 3 Oct 1891. He belonged to the military branch of the family, his father Prince Henry having also lost his life in the service of his adopted country. Educ. Wellington College and Sandhurst, gazetted 2/Lt March 1911 and joined 1st KRRC. Promoted Lt Feb 13. Dow 27 Oct 14. He had endeared himself to all ranks by his charming personality and thoughtfulness for others. He was a most gallant and capable officer, beloved by his men, his last words being to wish them goodbye. The funeral took place at Ypres 31 Oct, and the following eulogy was passed upon the Prince by Field-Marshal Sir John French:- "The army has lost a gallant officer, who was a fine example to all around him."

- extract taken from the KRRC Chronicle 1914. Unfortunately this volume only goes up to November, so does not contain any mention of the action that interests Michael. Perhaps someone has access to the 1915 KRRC Chronicle...

Thanks Kate. That narrows it down to the 1st Bn. As usually happens, my avenue of research has been sidetracked and I'd like to find out more about Prince Maurice. I hope to look at his service record next week. If anyone is interested, I'll post the results.

Once again I'm amazed at the depth of knowledge of the members of this forum, and their willingness to help.

Michael

Michael

What village are you interested in... I have probably hundreds of photo copies of the EKG 14-18... I will scan and send you those that you may be interested in to save you a bit of time if you would like ! :)

email me !

Michael,

Sorry, I didn't get my brain into gear earlier on. The 1914 KRRC Chronicle covers the October action you are looking for. The volume carries an extensive transcription of their war diary from Aug 12th. I could send this as a photocopy or scan, as you prefer. Also, what are the names of the men from your village?