Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Poperinghe

Andrew Hesketh

Very specific question, for reasons that will take too long to explain, but would anyone be able to confirm / refute the idea that Poperinghe (or the immediate vicinity) was heavily shelled on 23 April 1915? It's all to do with the death of a 27th Division man buried in Pop.

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Andrew,

Very specific but also very difficult question. Poperinge was in reach of the heavy German artillery and has been regularly shelled but also attacked from the air. On that specific date I have no direct hint if there has been heavy shelling but in my collection of postcards I have some referring to specific dates. Those cards were mostly made if there were civilian casualties. There are also series of postcards on the damage inflicted to the town by shelling.

Beneath you can find a postcard in relation to such an arial bombardment who took place 12th March 1915. 11 bombs were trown killing 11 people (9 civilians and 2 soldiers if my memory is good) and wounding 30. On the postcard you can see the funeral procession in the streets of Poperinge on his way to the church. Seeing the number of people in the streets it directly came to my mind if ever another attack of some kind would have taken place the result would have been a catastrophy.

Jacky

post-4-1056713928.jpg

Jacky,

Thanks for the response and for posting the fascinating postcard. Have I understood you correctly - Poperinge was probably shelled on 23 April 1915, but you do not have any proof?

Thanks again,

Andrew

Andrew,

Poperinghe has a local history quarterly. You can find its website at http://users.pandora.be/aandeschreve/index.html and this website also comprise an email address. They can probably help with that particular date.

A. Van Walleghem in his book only cites Langhemarck, Steenstraat, St Julien, Boesinghe, St Jan, Ypres on that particular day.

Gilbert Deraedt

:huh:

Andrew,

No direct indication for that particular date. However it happened very regularly even with only a few shells. Maybe that occured that day. It won't be directly but when I go to the archives I will try to find something about it.

Jacky

Gilbert, thanks for the details and the link.

Jacky, much appreciated but please don't make any special enquiries on my behalf.

Thanks again,

Andrew

I have found this question interesting and have tried to follow it up, but, unfortunately, I cannot provide much hard information. I have been browsing through that amazing collection of on-line Canadian War Diaries that has been mentioned in this forum over the past few days. One divisional HQ diary from 1917 notes each day whenever the town of Ypres had been shelled overnight. A medical officer with a battalion in brigade reserve in 1916 noted whenever there was heavy shelling overnight. Aha! All we need to do to answer the question at hand is to look at the war diary of a unit (preferably a medical unit) located in "Pop" on 23 April 1915.

Alas! I have outsmarted myself! The Canadian Division was in that sector at that time (there was a big battle going on, if you remember), and from other sources I have found out that a Casualty Clearing Centre (presumably No. 1 CCS) was at "Pop" at that time. Unfortunately the relevant diaries are not yet on-line.

Perhaps someone with access to the paper or microfilm versions could have a peek.

A google search produces a semi-relevant item at http://www.rootsweb.com/~canbrnep/june301915.htm .

This is a letter home from a medical officer describing events from approximately that time and place. Note that he mentions shelling in Ypres but not at "Pop" or "Vlam".

"Old country" types might like to know that Lunenburg is a county in Nova Scotia originally settled about 1750 by German immigrants.

To anyone confused by the reference to Lunenburg in my last post, the letter in the link was taken from a local newspaper in Nova Scotia. Sorry for the fouled up reference.

James,

I'm glad you found the question interesting but slightly embarrassed at the massive amount of time and effort spent on my behalf - especially as, in the end, you ran into a brick wall. How many times have I done the same thing to my great frustration. Thank you very much for your efforts.

Andrew

• 1 month later...

Andrew,

There is an entry in the War diary of the 10th Hussars which reads: '...25th April 1915, Observed Poperinghe being shelled...'

Hope that this is of help.

• 17 years later...

The 27th Divn. War Diary contains several references to the town being shelled on 24 April, commencing at 7.30. But no mention anywhere for 22nd or 23rd. (I'm interested in L/Corpl. Latham, Military Police, Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, 23 April 1915). 27 Divn. : 24 April 1915: Hostile shells commenced to fall in the town about 7.30 a.m., at 8.45 a.m. one 5.9 Howitzer shell fell on the HQrs Office, and destroyed it. About eight shells fell. 2 Orderlies slightly wounded, 2 men killed, 2 wounded of another unit. At 9 a.m. shell exploded in stores, killing 1, wounding 2. HQ moved to farm ¼ mile south of town. 

Following up with the CWGC for Poperinghe Old Military Cemetery, the period 23 - 24 April 1915 records 6 and 28 U.K. casualties respectively. I believe those mentioned in the account to be members of the Army Ordnance Corps. Latham, I think might have been killed by the same bout of shellfire; his death incorrectly recorded or - attributed to shelling in the vicinity of the Vlamertinghe road - as, somewhat, unclearly referred to in the War Diary, A Sqdn. Surrey Yeomanry, 23 - 30 April: 'Collected the rations of the Division. R.E. stores and S.A.A. and (illegible) them off along the road at times where and when the shelling least severe. Also any drafts and men returning from hospital.' 

Therein lies the problem, tale, and somewhere, answer.