Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MID Entitlement?

birkettm

Not quite a MIC but it seems to fit - please put it somewhere else if need be.

I am attempting to find the gazette entry for the MID to Joseph Hickling.

Joseph Hickling Trio

I dont have any experience of researching MID's (i assume they are in the gazette?). Can anyone help me out or shall i just assume that he was not entitled to it?

I dont seem to be having much luck with searches atm!

Ta

marc

Marc.

Most likely the MID details (if entitled) will be on his MIC.

http://www.documentsonline.nationalarchive...1&resultcount=1

But it'll cost you £3.50 to find out.

If your thinking of having a bid, I'd probably wait 'till they were won before Downloading it.

Look like a nice Trio.

Mark.

MIDs should show up on a separate MIC in series WO372/24, not on his standard MIC.

I can't find one under either number, J Hickling or Hickling in the Royal Engineers. Most of the time the MID MICs only use initials, not full names.

Steve.

MIDs should show up on a separate MIC in series WO372/24, not on his standard MIC.

I understand that Steve, But usually there's a "EMB" reference on the MIC.

Sorry, wasn't thinking.

Still, I would hope that there would be an MIC for the MID.

Steve.

Buy first, worry about it later? Anyone have any idea what they would expect them to fetch? Ive never tried to buy a MID before so definately in new waters regarding anything gallantry.

And...ive just came accross a lot which says 'MID confirmed by London Gazette' so are MID citations in the london gazette, or not?

Thanks chaps.

Marc

What is a MID? Ignorance is bliss but only sometimes.

Robbie :P

What is a MID? Ignorance is bliss but only sometimes.

Robbie  :P

Got it : Mentioned in dispatches? :rolleyes:

So would ye be able to find out what said soldier did to receive said MID for then?

Buy first, worry about it later? Anyone have any idea what they would expect them to fetch? Ive never tried to buy a MID before so definately in new waters regarding anything gallantry.

I see what you mean Marc.

Perhaps spending the £3.50 now and finding out what your (Potentially) buying might be worth it.

As for price... I've never tried for an MID Group either. But I should say (Assuming NON Casualty) 15 Star MID Trio to a Corps, your probably looking at around the Low/Mid 3 figure mark, £120/130ish. But this is just a "Guestimate" based on Line Regt prices.

Good Luck, let us know how you get on...

Mark.

As for price...  I've never tried for an MID Group either.  But I should say (Assuming NON Casualty) 15 Star MID Trio to a Corps, your probably looking at around the Low/Mid 3 figure mark, £120/130ish.  But this is just a "Guestimate" based on Line Regt prices.

Strangely enough MIDs don't seem to add very much at all to the value of a group, unless the act for which it was awarded can be positively identified. This would be the exception as the majority were simply for prolonged 'good service' not warranting any higher award (MSm for example). I would expect to pay no more than £10 - 15 over the price of a 'normal' trio.

Regards

Steve

I would expect to pay no more than £10 - 15 over the price of a 'normal' trio.

So "Low" 3 figures might be "In The Ball Park", given the current average price of a Trio?

I was/am possibly just a little steep in my guestimate, perhaps around a "Oner", or there abouts then?

£103.12 - still to much for me though...

Wasn't too far out then... :)

Did you have a "POP" then Marc?

Nah - i was hoping it would go for less then you said. I dont trust the system enough to spend 100 quid on ebay....

Will just have to wait till i see one at a dealers.....

cheers!

marc