Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Christmas Truce Poem

Muerrisch

Not sure in which section 'Christmas Truce' belongs.

Here goes. 2Lt Mervyn S Richardson 2RWF was reputed to have written a poem on his experiences in No Man's land Christmas Day 1914. Events documented in 'The War The Infantry Knew', 'Old Soldiers Never Die', 'Regimental Records RWF' etc.

Poem reputed to be in 'The Times' or 'The Morning Post' [predecessor of 'Telegraph']. Searched both, from 25 Dec 1914 for one month forward. Eyes like the proverbial after the search.

Please, does anyone know of the poem?

Guest lynsey1

Christine,dont know if this is what you are looking for but you can buy a copy of old soldiers never die by frank richards from the welch fusiliers museum, the castle, caernarfon, ll55 2ay £9.95 plus p&p

lynsey

Don't know the answer, but the chap to contact at the address given by Lynsey is Lt. Col. Peter Crocker (Ret'd). He's a very nice* and knowledgeable chap who will probably be able to answer your question.

Andrew

(*If I visit the RWF archives in the summer he's so desperate to sneak off and watch the cricket that he allows a liberal use of the photocopier to speed up my mission!! :P )

Thanks to correspondents so far ..... I said it was difficult! The Curator RWF Museum, Lt Col Peter Crocker RWF [Rtd] would be as grateful as I am if the poem could be found.

I don't know whether this is relevant to the original posting, but there is a 'spoof' version of a poem about the Christmas Truce in Punch on January 13th 1915, called "'Punch' in the Enemy's Trenches". The dedication before the poem reads:

"To the officer whose letter, reproduced in the Daily Telegraph, after reporting the irregular exchange of Christmans gifts between our men and the enemy, goes on to say:- 'In order to put a stop to a situation which was proving impossible, I went out myself after a time with a copy of 'Punch', which I presented to a dingy Saxon in exchange for a small packet of excellent cigars and cigarettes."

Regards - Sue

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Is this what you are looking for:

No stir of wings sweeps softly by

No angel comes with blinding light

Beneath the wild & wintry sky

No shepherds watch their flocks tonight

In the dull thunder of the wind

We hear the cruel guns afar

But in the glowering heavens we find

No guiding solitary star

But lo on this our Lord's birthday

Lit by the glory whence she came

Peace, like a warrior, stands at bay

A swift defiant living flame!

There are an other 4 verses.

Ian

:ph34r:

Just when I thought the trail had gone cold, two exciting posts, thank you Sue L. and Ian. Please, where did the quoted poem come from, and may we see the rest of it? If it was by Mervyn Richardson [a genuine hero to his colleagues, his men, Robert Graves, and, I have to add, me] then I have a great deal of material on him if this rings a bell for you.

I now have a complete copy of the 'Punch' poem, kindly e-mailed by Sue L.

I would be most grateful to learn a little more on the Ian Bowbrick version, please.

As the Sue L. one is clearly not by MS Richardson, the other one might just be [how many chaps were writing poems on that subject around New Year 1915? Not many!]

Guest Ian Bowbrick

David,

Thanks for your post - I am actually in Moscow today & tomorrow - so if you can wait till the end of the week?

Nastrovia - Ian

That's clever, how do you do that, e-mail from Moscow? We Luddites have a lot of catching up to do.

Having waited 10 years, another few days will do no harm. Thank you for your interest.

David

• 3 years later...

I'm bringing up an old thread having found it whilst 'surfing' the Forum.

I did a Google search on a line from the poem supplied by Ian and found that, by today, the whole Mr Punch's History of the Great War is avilable to read online ( or even download I think)

Thought that people might like to see it.

http://www.gutenberg.org/catalog/world/rea...14&pageno=1

Hywyn

http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/trenches.htm

Mr Richardson, a young officer who had just joined the Battalion and was now a platoon officer in my company wrote a poem during the night about the Briton and the Bosche meeting in no-man's-land on Christmas Day, which he read out to us. A few days later it was published in The Times or Morning Post, I believe.

Cheers

kim

Having waited 10 years, another few days will do no harm. Thank you for your interest.

David

Just wondered if you ever got the full poem, etc as indicated?

John

So interesting. Thanks for these posts.

I'm researching the Royal Irish Rifles.

I wonder did they have any poets?