Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

use of animals ww1

Guest lynsey1

I was interested to see a mention of the 58th division memorial at Chipply.

My great grandad was a groom by trade,a master horseman,who served with the 58th,in one of their MG companies.

As far as i know,he had nothing to do with the animals in the company,but i expect he had an interest in their well being.

The MG company,served during 3rd Ypres and the battles in March and April 1918.

In the war diary for the company,there are returns for officers and men,and also returns for animals,on a day to day basis.

In late August 1917,a few days before they went into the line for the first time at 3rd Ypres,they had on their animal strength,5 riding horses,2 heavy draught horse's and 46 mules.

These animals had been with them for several months,close to the frontlines,suffering gas and the constant noise of artillery.

They were important enough to be mentioned,if one of them was wounded,or,as in one of the entries in the diary,they came down with illness,like Tetanus.

According to accounts that i have read,mules were especially cool under fire,and were some off the most dependable animals you could have with you,in a difficult situation like the mud of 3rd Ypres.

All of them were valuable friends,and fellow veterans.

Still they serve,now,in Iraq and all around the world.

Regards.

Simon.

With reference to the 58th Division Memorial at Chipilly of the driver and his wounded horse, apparently this memorial was erected by the grateful local population.

Bob.

Took this picture of the "animal memorial " in Chippily in Sptember 2001.

Keith

post-20-1056858770.jpg

Guest lynsey1

Thanks for putting the picture up keith,its a beautiful statue and i will get to see it one day,also, thanks simon for your imput,amazing to think of all these animals at war and and that donkies were so calm under those circumstances.

lynsey

Quite apart from the normal companionship people get from animals, particularly pets, in war time they are also thereaputic in as much that there is probably nothing as helpful in overcoming your own fear when under bombardment as having to comfort and reassure a frightened animal?

Converesly you might feel a bit silly diving for the deepest hole when shells start bursting around you whilst your mule calmly stands there looking at you with trusting eyes!

Tim

Did anyone ever make a statue (I once heard of it's potential existance) of the famous "Farewell Old Man" painting, depicting an upset officer about to administer the coup de grace to his trusty companion? If so, anyone know where it is?

There was a humerous WW2 (US) parody of this scene drawn ,I think, by the same artist who did "Sad Sack". This depicted a grizzled US sergeant about to do the same to his Jeep!

Dave.

Dogs were also used as 'Search' dogs. They went out, with handlers, into No-Mans Land to find casualties/bodies. There is a picture in 'Eye Deep in Hell' (page110) showing one wearing a special harness pannier type arrangement which held first aid supplies and stimulants.

The following may be of interest:

A four-part series on the UK History Channel 'Animals at War' begins on Fri. 18th July at 21:00hrs. Programes on Pigeons, Dogs, Horses and Marine Mammals, not sure on how much Great War content there will be, but there's bound to be some. Further information at www.thehistorychannel.co.uk

Alan Seymour

• 16 years later...

Looks like I'm a bit late to this party (it being 2020 now!) But I recently came across a secret French report into the use of pigeons in the Great War and I thought it might be of interest. I had a stab at translating it. I'm still only learning French so if anyone has any corrections or suggestions they'd be greatly appreciated!

You can find my attempt at translation here - https://itsahistory.wordpress.com/2019/12/08/lost-in-translation-exploitation-des-pigeons-voyageurs/

KOBE

Edited by KOBE